High Sierra Trail in Late June vs mid to late August

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
CeloTX
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

High Sierra Trail in Late June vs mid to late August

Post by CeloTX »

Hello All!

I found this sub during my preparation for the High Sierra Trail and I couldn't be more grateful!

I have the option of hiking the HST starting on either June 28th or August 19th. I have a permit and my partner has a permit. We want to cancel one asap so that it will be available for someone else to scoop up. My question is which permit do you suggest we take?

My concerns with June 28th is that we may require snow equipment like crampons (ultimately heavier packs), we may encounter more mosquitos, and less likelihood we'll want to get in the lakes due to colder temps.

My concerns with August 19th is the high probability of forest fires and a hotter climate.

Both permits are for 9 nights. Me and my partner are both Level 2 hikers. We've done less than a handful of backcountry trips. The longest was 5 nights circumnavigating the grand teton crest.

Any feedback/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: High Sierra Trail in Late June vs mid to late August

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Well, you stated reasons for both. Is putting up with mosquitoes, cold lakes and more snow for a more sure thing, worth it, if you were to use the earlier permit? I have been in to Hamilton Lake July4 holiday in 2001 (67% snow year for Yosemite, not sure what that would be for SEKI). Southern Sierra this year is at about 40%. I think you would be OK. In 2001 Precipice Lake was frozen and there was solid snow up to Nine Lakes Basin. But, things melt off as you go down towards Big Arrayo and the trail to Moraine Lake is south facing. Also went in June 25, 2014 to Little and Big 5 Lakes and there was practically no snow. 2014 was a 33% snow year for Yosemite. In fact it was perfect, and actually few mosquitoes.

Personally I would do the early trip. Things could be very dried up by August and smoky.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

You pretty much have it nailed. What would you rather endure?

This year, the snow concerns probably won't be that big on the 28th.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

That part of the Great Western Divide is one of the most spectacular in the Sierra for wildflowers. In this very low snow year, the flowers will be early; late June might actually be great timing. And with a bit of snow still in in the mountains...It will be astonishingly beautiful.

August 19, will be really dried up. That is not the time to walk this route, even in a "normal" snow year.

Do the earlier trip. Mosquitoes won't end your trip, but smoke very well can. After August 16, 2020, there were so many forest fires in CA that most areas of the Sierra were impacted by smoke even if there were no fires particularly close by. The smoke would blow in on the prevailing winds from hundreds of miles away.

"Hotter climate": Temps tend to peak in mid-July or so. June 28 & Aug 19 would have similar temperature profiles to each other, in an average year. In fact you may tend to have nicer, warmer nights on June 28. (Again - on average.)
CeloTX
Topix Novice

Post by CeloTX »

Thanks to all! I was leaning towards taking the risk with August but after considering your feedback i've decided to move forward with late June.

One final question. How likely would it be for me and my wife to hitch a ride together out of Whitney portal into Lone pine?

Greatly appreciate all the feedback!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

CeloTX wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:04 pm One final question. How likely would it be for me and my wife to hitch a ride together out of Whitney portal into Lone pine?
Depends on a few things like what time you need to depart, if you both need to go or if you can send one of you solo, if your wife is a supermodel, ect. But it is known as one of the easier hitches in the Sierra.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
CeloTX
Topix Novice

Post by CeloTX »

We'd ultimately both need to get to Lone Pine via a hitch so that we can catch the bus to Lancaster. Good to know that its known as one of the easier hitches. Thanks again!
CeloTX
Topix Novice

Post by CeloTX »

How reliable is cell phone signal at Whitney Portal if we need to call an uber/Lyft? is that even a possibility?
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by bobby49 »

Whitney Portal does not get reliable cell service.

From the summit of Whitney, about one third of all phones can get a signal, but that also requires you to stand in the magic spot and not twenty feet away.
mkbgdns
Topix Regular

Post by mkbgdns »

hitching separately might get you both there faster than hitching together. depending on covid situation, you might consider wearing an N95 mask with "N95" printed in large letters (magic marker) on its outside surface. or not.

been HST both June and August. I think you're making the right choice.