Stop doing car shuttles & thru hikes, you dummies!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Stop doing car shuttles & thru hikes, you dummies!

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Tehipite Tom, what a great idea! I had never thought of a "car exchange" instead of a "key exchange".

Although I would never do shuttle every trip and I agree that returning on the same route does not have to be boring, the long distance point-to-point trip is an entirely different experience that should not be devalued by those who prefer loops. By the way, it is a bit arrogant to label those who's hiking style differs from yours as "dummies", although I assume this was said in jest. Thru hikers are aware of and accept the logistical difficulties.
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gregw822 »

Interesting thread. When I started backpacking regularly, I had Sierra South and North, and I had a wonderful big USDA map that showed Sequoia, Kings and the JM Wilderness. I had it on the wall of my study for years I dutifully traced out on the map every trip I did. Trip planning involved picking a place on the map that I wanted to visit, then using SS and SN to look for trail routes in the area, linking these two days of one trip with a couple other days from some other trip. My goals were to avoid crowds (stay off the JMT as much as possible) and not go where there were bear boxes (because that's where bears are). Eventually I started linking trips together with cross-country bits. The driving part was never a serious consideration, just part of the planning. Some of us like a good drive, others hate it. The thing is, that's still mostly how I plan my trips, even though we have loads more information available nowadays. I haven't posted a lot over the years, but I've been a Topix member for a long time and have found the site to be a wonderful asset to the hiking community.b
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

gregw822 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:48 pm When I started backpacking regularly, I had Sierra South and North, and I had a wonderful big USDA map that showed Sequoia, Kings and the JM Wilderness. I had it on the wall of my study for years I dutifully traced out on the map every trip I did.
I love those maps, and somewhere I still have my copy from, oh, nearly 30 years ago. There was always something so exhilarating about being able to see the whole area at once, but still have enough detail to do planning. (For the trips themselves I've always used the 7.5' series.)
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I do many out and back hikes.

It is typical that I am unsure of my return route esp when off trail many times during an out and back because the scenery is SO DIFFERENT.

So if people dont do out and backs because they dont want to see the same thing twice....you might want to rethink that. Perspective is everything...and out and back gives you a fresh enough perspective on something you have already seen and trust me....you probably wont know it much of the time.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

sparky wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:41 pm I do many out and back hikes.

It is typical that I am unsure of my return route esp when off trail many times during an out and back because the scenery is SO DIFFERENT.
Oh yeah...my term is "reverse route amnesia", and I suffer from it all the time.
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

I've never shuttled with two cars, but I've hitched & taken YARTS plenty of times even if I normally do lollipops (which are pretty easy to optimize adding in XC passes in most trailheads). Doesn't bother me if poeple do and I see why they would for certain trips.

I'll keep the resupply @ parchers in mind for a north/south trip (I've just done various south/lamarck and lamarck/north loops) - one fun thing about the HSC in Yosemite is geting some fruit, snickers, being shanghaied into dish duty etc on the last night out. :)

The whole must hike something with acronym I just don't get, but it keeps people clustered around certain areas for better or worse. Some of the recent routes seem... contrived? I learned of Skurka's Yosemite High Route when a friend asked me about it, took a look at the overview of it and I'm pretty sure that it would ever exist if there wasn't a market for loop thru-hike guides with catchy names for $25.
F14Rainman
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by F14Rainman »

I enjoy crossing from one side of the Sierra to the other. Feeds the romantic in me. In a normal year I dont mind taking the public transportation each way. The Sequoia shuttle from the Amtrak is easy, as is the Eastern Sierra transport to the Metrolink in Lancaster. On the way out especially, I like having a day in Independence or Lone Pine to ease myself back into being around people as well.
neil d
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by neil d »

Fun thread. Pretty sure C9 was stirring things up in jest, and will be fine with each of us hiking our own hikes.

I'm a fan of lollipop loops, and don't mind out n backs if we're basecamping somewhere for a few days. As a working stiff with limited backcountry time, extra hours in the car definitely do not appeal. I am also a happy 'backyard' hiker that enjoys hitting the nearby stuff (Deso, TNF, Carson, etc.) in lieu of epic trans-sierra adventures.

Pretty sure WD has the primo situation, a partner willing to collaborate on 'choose your own adventure' vacations. Hoping to reach that ethereal level someday.