Sierra NF permits and the Creek Fire impact uncertainty

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Sierra NF permits and the Creek Fire impact uncertainty

Post by Wandering Daisy »

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CASNF/2 ... 6-CST.jpeg

I am not 100% sure of what I am seeing on the map above of the Creek Fire. The red jagged line is the extent of the fire? If so it seems that the FS trailheads in southern Yosemite are within the fire impact area, including several miles of trail- such as all the way to Hemlock Crossing. Also the trail along the north side of Edison Lake seems like it is burned according to the map. Nobody knows if the trails in the fire area will be mostly clear or a mess of deadfall.

I called Sierra NF and they said that they hope to have all roads open, but have not evaluated the safety (such as unstable dead trees) so cannot be absolutely sure if all the trailheads will be accessible. If not, reserve.gov should notify those with permits and refund. I also asked about Florence Lake ferry and they said it should be open (again not a solid "for-sure").

So there are multiple complicating factors- Creek Fire, new permit system, COVID. "Walk-in" permits are NOT walk-in. But they said they will be available up to the day of entry, but NOT at the FS office, but through reserve.gov. Nobody is clear on "no-shows" or if you could actually sit in your car in front of their office and pick up a no-show permit with your smart phone. They also said that this system is a work in progress and could be changed in the future.

There seems to be a lot of uncertainty, especially if you are getting an early season permit with a trailhead or access road in the fire impacted area.
Does anyone have more information on all this?
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sierra NF permits and the Creek Fire impact uncertainty

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Yes, the red lines and thick black lines were the extent of the fire. I'll just add that as frustrating as this is for us backpackers, I'm sure the field personnel with the USFS are probably having headaches over all of this as well. In my experience, the people actually in the field and interacting with the public don't get any solid info any sooner than us.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

On the map you posted, there is a legend in the upper right corner. It's consistent with what Lumbergh21 said.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Thank you for calling Sierra NF and relaying the intel, WD.

I remember checking that Inciweb map daily, to watch with dismay how fast that Creek Fire & others were expanding - right up until the snow fell. Decided right then and there not to plan any trips in that area for 2021.

Also curious about the damage by the fire in the Kern Hot Springs area. Not personally planning to go back there any year soon, but I did suggest to some acquaintances who are planning to do the HST this summer that they call SEKI for intel. Not sure if they have.
jôhorn
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by jôhorn »

Speaking of deadfall, another complication may be the windstorm that blew through in January. I counted two dozen downed trees on the 10-odd mile road from Badger Pass to Glacier Point. Despite the low-snow year, this might put a crimp in opening any roads that need to be plowed.
frozenintime
Topix Regular

Post by frozenintime »

i happened to be on the isberg trail permit page at rec.gov and saw this language:

"Travel to Cora Crossing, Hemlock Crossing, Stevenson Meadow and Lake Catherine is not authorized until further notice due to Creek Fire impacts. Please plan your trip accordingly."

i assume this is only in reference to travel from isberg to these places and not that travel to hemlock crossing or especially lake catherine themselves is forbidden (whether now or later this summer). this is from a forest order that may expire by late april anyway, but i thought it might be worth mentioning in this thread!