Knapsack v. Thuderbolt

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Knapsack v. Thuderbolt

Post by gregw822 »

I need to do one resupply for the High Route this summer between Kings and Reds. Doesn't matter where. I was going to arrange a drop of some sort, but I think instead I'll walk out to avoid the added challenge of making a location at a specific time. Parcher's will be the best choice, I think. Don't want to go all the way into town. I can follow the standard route over Knapsack, but Thunderbolt Col looks like it might cut some mileage off the walk to Bishop Pass. However, I've read the descriptions of the both and have concluded that Thuderbolt may be shorter, but with more talus and tricky route finding on the north side, it probably wouldn't save any time compared to crossing Knapsack. Am I thinking right?
erutan
Topix Expert

Re: Knapsack v. Thuderbolt

Post by erutan »

I haven't done thunderbolt, but can confirm Knapsack is very straightforward. It's a pleasant walk through Dusy at least. :)
mkbgdns
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by mkbgdns »

done both on day hike (no pack) loop. don't remember thunderbolt as particularly difficult, but knapsack was a piece of cake.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have backpacked over both. It depends on snow conditions. North side of Thunderbolt has large talus blocks. Either dry or all snow are OK, but nasty when snow is just melting- lots of unstable snow at talus block edges. I have actually camped on top of Thunderbolt early season when we had snow melt for water (climbed Thunderbolt). Both routes go well as long as you do not get off route. I have also done Knapsack in early season when there was a lot of snow. North side of Knapsack is more slabby vs talus. There is a use-trail on it but difficult to follow in patchy snow. South side of Thunderbolt is easy as long as you find the correct ledges.

My memory is vague, but I recall that if you stay too high trying to traverse from Bishop Pass to Thunderbolt, you are forced down anyway and it is more difficult than initially dropping down far enough to get on a broad ramp. I have not been up for nearly 10 years and I suspect that there is a fair use-trail formed by now. By the way, the large lake below Thunderbolt on the north side has good fishing.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Knapsack is easier, and requires less mental energy. Do that one if you are more exhausted.

Thunderbolt is more jaw-dropping scenic, IMO. Do that one if you are up for the adventure.
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

Also, if you choose Thunderbolt, don't try to traverse high up (if you're coming from Potluck Pass, say). It's much easier walking thru Palisade basin than crossing the scree up at 12k.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

Wow! Glad I asked. Great information. Thank you.
I've done Knapsack, and since I'm headed out for resupply anyway, I'll figure on Thunderbolt. Good to have Knapsack as a backup.
Glad to have the traverse tip. Secor shows a direct route from Potluck to Thunderbolt. An eyewitness account is good stuff. Otherwise I probably would have talked myself into traversing long before I even got there, I like jaw-dropping. I'm hauling camera gea, and there should be super opportunities along that route.