Advice on my big summer hike McGee TH to Twin Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Advice on my big summer hike McGee TH to Twin Lakes

Post by David_Caruso »

Hi all,

New and somewhat infrequent poster.

So, I just pulled a permit and got my wife to agree to drop me off and pick me up!! Small victory there.

Planning on starting at McGee Creek trailhead in the Inyo and getting on the PCT all the way to Twin Lakes (Annett's Mono Village) for my exit. CalTopo says it's a 107 miles. I pulled the permit for starting at McGee on Friday August 27th and will plan on and exiting Sept 5th. The August 27th dayte will be a half day hiking and dealing with permit pick up etc. Plan to get up to Big McGee Lake area for that day.

Here is the Caltopo link with the route. https://caltopo.com/m/EE7N

I did the Twin Lakes out to Benson/Smedberg/Mule Pass loop last summer and am somewhat familiar with that part of the trip.

Am I missing anything? Advice? Can't miss lakes or alternates? Is the PCT in the section and time of year too busy and should I look to get off it more?

I can take a couple low mileage days and mix in some 15-ish mile type days. Should have opportunities to re-up on supplies if need at Red's Meadow or Tuolumne Meadows if needed. Thanks!!
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Re: Advice on my big summer hike McGee TH to Twin Lakes

Post by maiathebee »

I hate the JMT/PCT and avoid it---it's always busy. That late in the season you won't have to deal with PCT hikers though.

You'll probably get more replies and better advice if you ask more specific questions than "What can't I miss on this longass hike along the most popular part of the most popular trail in the US."
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Just be aware that in a dry year some of the creeks that show permanent flow in Yosemite run dry or are lowered enough that you cannot easily access the water. Very frustrating when you hear the water below but cannot get to it! I recall that those cases are north of where you will go out.

It is 7.6 miles, 3065 feet gain to Big McGee Lake, not what I would call a "half-day", particularly if it is the first day and packs are heavy. That assumes you would camp on the southwest side of the lake which is a bit off the trail. I like this side because it had very scenic camping and fishing at the inlet is good. The east side is about half a mile and 150 feet less gain; still a pretty significant day.

You connect with the PCT, after going over McGee Pass, at Tully Hole. In my opinion, getting to the PCT is more scenic than much of the remaining PCT to Reds Meadow. The Tully Lake-Cotton Lake bench is a bit off the trail but very pretty.

Lake Virginia (many campsites along the northwest shore) is more scenic than Purple Lake, and less crowded because there are many places to camp, whereas at Purple Lake everyone bunches up near the outlet. A short side-trip up to the outlet of Duck Lake is worth the effort. Supposedly no camping allowed exactly at the outlet, but there are nice nearby locations.

From Duck Lake trail junction to Reds Meadow is not that great- something just to quickly pass through. Of course, others may disagree. If you are not a purist, you could instead go up to Duck Pass (camp at Pika Lake) and then out to Cold Creek trailhead, although this year they may not be running shuttles, which would be a logistical problem. And of course, before starting, check that Reds Meadow store will be open, and if planning on going to Mammoth Lakes, the shuttle busses are running.

There are significant elevation gains and looses on the PCT north of Tioga Pass so be sure to figure in those gains when looking at daily mileage. A lot of PCT hikers get shocked at this, after assuming things are easier simply because elevations are lower than the southern Sierra. Late August can be very hot too.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey David, I know what Maiathebee is saying about the JMT/PCT thorofare, but your routes have great potential. I like the deviation you've chosen onto the SHR from Minaret Lake (Highlight!) to Ediza. My suggestion is that you stay on the SHR, traveling above and on the west sides of Garnet and 100 Island Lakes. You will avoid one of the most crowded parts of that trip, and will be right up under the amazing Ritter Range, which is more dramatic. One of my very favorite vantage points in the entire Range is the view from atop Volcanic Ridge. I'll add a photo or 2 from up there:

100_2620.jpg
View west into the Minarets/Ritter Range, with Iceberg Lake below

100_2635.jpg
View south west, with Clyde Minaret in the center, Lake Cecile below.

100_2671.jpg
This is the kind of country you wend your way through from Minaret Lake up to Volcanic Ridge. The hardest is a bit of steep, but easy scree slope to reach the ridge.

So if you can add one more climb to your trip, I'd make it Volcanic Ridge. If possible, choose to climb it in the morning light, but its always nice. One other suggestion is to branch off to Duck Lake, and join the SHR again on to Deer Lakes, and along the fascinating ridge north from there. It gives long and interesting views all around, and especially to the Minarets and the Ritter Range again:

100_2450.jpg
Deer Lakes.

100_2478.jpg
View NE through Mammoth Mountain.

100_2461.jpg
View North to the Ritter Range.

One point about the ridge route from Deer Lakes to Red's Meadow-- it is a pretty loooong dry stretch! Though I assume that like me, you never stoop to carrying water, here is one place that you might want to. I know it's against our lightweight backpacking principles, but it'll save you from over-loading on beer when you reach Red's Meadow store all dried out. :drinkers:

Best of luck on your nice, long journey. Ian.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Harlen wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:41 pm My suggestion is that you stay on the SHR, traveling above and on the west sides of Garnet and 100 Island Lakes. You will avoid one of the most crowded parts of that trip, and will be right up under the amazing Ritter Range, which is more dramatic.
^^ second this. And if you want to continue avoiding the main trail after Donahue Pass you can go up Maclure Creek and then up over the saddle SW of Amelia Earhart Peak down to Ireland Lake, then above Evelyn to Fletcher, then up and over to Elizabeth Lake via the saddle south of Johnson Peak. Here are photos from when I went Agnew to Tuolumne this way.
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love