-Sanity Check- My Three Trips This Summer!

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: -Sanity Check- My Three Trips This Summer!

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

balzaccom wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:07 am If you can't find more people to join you, please revise your permit to allow someone else to go hiking...

I fear many have done what you did--get a permit for more people than will actually end up hiking--and it would be great to get those unused spots back in circulation...

Looks like you have some nice trips planned.
I was planning on doing that, I just want to try and get people to go with me before I end up dropping the number of people on my permit. I figure if I cant get anyone ill drop it within like 1-2 months of the deadline.
----
Everyone has a happy place.
Mine is Tulainyo Lake at Sunset.
I do hope to make it back there one day.
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

maiathebee wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:42 am What's your cross country experience level?
on a scale of 1-5... eh kind of a high two. I have done it a few times before. but its not like ive done the completely off trail high sierra route or gone through Ionian basin.
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

mkbgdns wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:11 am I'm only familiar with #3, but I think your "4-6 mile days" criterion is being exceeded. the outlet end of TIL is 9+ miles from Agnew Meadows, with an altitude gain of 1500'. a standard measure of caloric output reads 1000 ft gain as equivalent of 2 miles of level walking, and adds your pack's % of your body weight as an additional % to the distance. thus day #1 could come out as equal to 15 miles of load-free level walking, and Daisy mentions those old first-day-heavy-pack blues. I try to measure my days in equivalent-miles, and the formula seems pretty accurate.

then there's the difference between cross-country and trail walking, thus malathebee's question. depending on your answer, I wouldn't take the north side of whitebark pass lightly.

I think what you're doing is just great, and a cure for the covid blues. your thought about ramping up your training prep probably comes from the realistic part of your brain. good luck. I'm jealous.
I mean if I cant get any of my friends to go ill open it up on here in the correct forum subject. But yeah, I think I am going to ramp up the training then like I was kind of planning to. I was thinking correct about the XC miles being pretty much half of normal trail miles in terms of max you can do per day. from what ive seen on whitebark pass it doesn't seem that bad? but like, the maximum ive ever done was the Whitney mountaineers route and going up that chute was terrifying. it wasnt so bad after the notch.
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

Harlen wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:33 pm I have a few suggestions for your trip from Onion Valley to Whitney. First, if you would like to add like a nice climb, the west ridge of Junction Peak begins right near Forrester Pass, and it's a class 3 route with solid rock, and great views. Secondly, though the JMT/PCT is great through this stretch, a deviation up Tyndall Cr., over Rockwell Pass, and down through the truly wild upper Bighorn Basin would be adding a nice bit of off-trail hiking. Thirdly, if you were to take a rest day anywhere on your Onion Valley to Whitney trip, I would recommend Wallace Creek. There are 3 beautiful lakes, and a day trip up to Tulainyo Lake is well worth the effort. However there are NO fish, and No Golden Trout in particular, anywhere in the Wallace Creek Basin :wink: Lastly, in the interest of getting off-trail again, I would wander up to Hitchcock Lakes to camp instead of the Guitar Lake zoo zone. Those are huge, impressive cliffs, and the next day you could cross country over to meet the Whitney trail from there... or are yo already planning to do just that? It's hard to tell from the map, but I now notice that you have written "Lower Hitchcock Lake" for your camp on Day 8. I hope you have three great trips.

100_4165.jpg Tulainyo Lake is the highest, biggest lake in the range... or is it the biggest, highest lake-- one or the other, it's very nice to see.
Yeah,I was planning on camping at one of the hitchcock lates, they look amazing and from my research it seems like nobody ever goes there, everyone is over at the guitar lake area. I was wanting to stay on trail for most of it, mainly because its a long hike (at least to me) the only off trail stuff I was thinking is in the wallace creek base area and the hitchcock lake area. But even then its not even that far off.
----
AlaskaIsCold
Topix Acquainted

Post by AlaskaIsCold »

I also know that altitude is also an issue so I was planning on camping up at the white mountain barcroft gate (~12,000ft) for a day or two before hand while using diamox to help me acclimate to try and minimize how that will factor into things.
----
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by TehipiteTom »

One thing about your Kearsarge Pass trip: camping is not allowed within 1/4 mile of Bullfrog Lake. You can camp at the lowest Kearsarge Lake, which is maybe 1/2 mile shy of Bullfrog.
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gregw822 »

Altitude certainly could be an issue, but it might not be. Looking at your trips, you seem comfortable wandering off trail, so perhaps you've done enough backpacking to already have an idea about how susceptible you are. I seem to have very little sensitivity as long as I stay below ~14,000', but that's just me. My wife is much more susceptible to altitude effects. It will be different for everyone, and, I think, different somewhat from trip to trip. I don't know anyone who needs Diamox for the Sierra, but I'm sure some people do. I'm interested in that and hope others chime in with their own experience.