direttissima descent from Upper Lamarck Lake to Lake Sabrina

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jdogrunner
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

direttissima descent from Upper Lamarck Lake to Lake Sabrina

Post by jdogrunner »

I'm curious if anyone has done xc travel from Upper Lamark Lake directly down to Sabrina. There's a saddle above Sabrina on the ridge that separates the middle fork of Bishop Creek drainage from the Lamarck Creek drainage and it looks like it's gentle enough to descend directly down to Sabrina (to cut out travel through North Lake.) We'll be traveling from the Lamarck drainage across Table Mountain and down into South Lake and a direct route would shave off a bit of mileage but I wonder if it would be a cliffy bushwhack descending directly down to Sabrina from the Upper Lamarck basin. Maybe I'm over-thinking it but I've walked down the North Lake Road and it sucks. Thanks for any input.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Re: direttissima descent from Upper Lamarck Lake to Lake Sabrina

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Slope may be feasible, but it looks like bushwhack hell to me. Have you looked at Google Earth? South facing slopes in sagebrush are not generally very easy walking.

You said "we". Why not just have one person walk to your car (or better yet, hitch), another (others) stay at North Lake with the packs.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Here's a link to a photo of Sabrina from the west...that route over the low spot in the ridge would lead to this nasty looking talus slope:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uzLM7EBT7zyMc6gd6
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You can avoid some of the talus, but the entire slope looks quite ugly. And, once down you still have to get around the lake and up to the trail. The photos below show the lake level low, but if it is high (it is a reservoir) then you are forced up into the brush. I really do not think you will save much time.
Sabrina5.jpg
Sabrina1.jpg
Sabrina2.jpg
Sabrina3.jpg
Sabrina4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.