Feather vs. Ruskie Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Feather vs. Ruskie Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

When ever I am asked about a pass or to compare two, it all depends on route finding. I have done both, messed up on Feather, not getting down the upper cliffs, but there was considerable snow and we thought that it would be easy to just walk down on top of the snow in the main drainage instead of up on the side in the snow-free scree. Well, snow deteriorated to slush and we were stuck in a horrible bunch of huge talus with broken snow bridges and all.

On Ruskie, we went from Merriam Lake up over to Seven Gables Lake. The route is a large upward bench, obvious at first. We cut up a short class 3 section before we got to the actual pass (we figured this out later), and then stayed high and gradually descended on grass and rock slopes. So I have never been on the official pass on the Seven Gables Side. I am not sure if we made the pass easier or harder. But we did not get into any talus.

So I guess I can only say I have been on both passes, but did not do the "official" route on either. I am not sure what becomes the "official" route is necessarily the easiest route anyway.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Feather vs. Ruskie Pass

Post by erutan »

Haven’t done Italy Lake to Upper Bear Creek Meadow, but I’ve gone down the east fork to 3 island lake from seven gables. In your shoes I’d just enter dancing bear and exit feather or ruskie and spend some serious time wandering the area, but of course it’s your trip. :) There's some interesting side views of seven gables as you get higher up the east fork that are neat. The old trail up comes and goes but it's not an issue, stream crossings when I've done it have been pretty straightforward.

Bear Creek basin is a bit overused, but it wildly fluctuates. Saw 6-7 tents first night there last summer, then basically had it to ourselves for another two days. Kick over some cairns!