Introducing a new Sierra thru-hike

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tiesing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Introducing a new Sierra thru-hike

Post by tiesing »

Over the last few summers I have pioneered a new long distance backpacking route in the Sierra that follows a route John Muir traveled on horseback in 1873. Muir and three companions traveled from Yosemite to Kings Canyon and over the Sierra crest to Independence. I'm writing a guidebook to this new route and have released a free preview version that will be of interest to HST followers. The guidebook preview can be downloaded from johnmuirroute.com (no ads) or by sending me a direct message.

In summary, the route is 212 miles long, from Bridalveil Campground in Yosemite to Onion Valley Campground near Independence. It follows a mix of existing trails, abandoned trails, roads, and cross country travel. It is completely separate and distinct from the better known John Muir Trail.

My purpose is not to create a literal "trail" but to describe a travel route in the manner of Roper's Sierra High Route. This route is intended for experienced backpackers who are competent at off-trail travel and navigation. While there is no class 3 scrambling, some of the cross country sections are pretty rugged. Much of the route is on USFS land that is not designated wilderness so no permit is needed on these sections.

I am in the process of writing a complete backpacker's guidebook to this route that will include detailed maps and route descriptions. However, some HST followers I know to be adventurous types who would enjoy scouting sections of the route or perhaps hiking the entire thing while it is unknown and seldom travelled. Once the guidebook is published, it is a sad certainty that at some point GPS tracks will appear on the Internet which in my mind will remove a significant portion of the thrill of discovery and the element of adventure. The preview version provides enough information to explain in general where the route goes without revealing every tiny detail that would remove all chance of uncertainty or failure. I hope this preview will entice you to go explore someplace you haven't been before and wander through the mountains that so captivated Muir.

I am eager to hear your thoughts about this new route and any feedback you might offer about the website and preview guide. Please reply here or by direct message.

--john
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Introducing a new Sierra thru-hike

Post by The Other Tom »

That's an interesting undertaking. I read Roper's book and was more interested in the history and other details rather than the trail description, which I think is what he wanted. As you pointed out, it's not a "route" but a general description of how to get from point A to point B. It sounds like you're taking the same approach in your book, which I think is good. I'd be particularly interested in the historical details of John Muir's trip that you include in your book. Good luck with your endeavors.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

The route reminds of one that a friend and I planned for the end of the summer in the early '70s. We wanted to hike the length of the Sierra from Yosemite south without using what we considered to be the "overused" JMT(!) Sadly my friend came down with bronchitis a couple of days into the trip, and then we had to hike back out with him coughing and gasping. Not fun. And we never did go back to that hike.

I think I still have at least one of the maps from our planning...but it is the section from Glacier Point south...over Red Peak Pass, Isberg Pass..etc
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

The route map on your webpage is not very detailed, but to me it looks similar to the Theodore Solomons trail, although somewhat shorter in total length.
gregw822
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by gregw822 »

The mid-ranger has become very trendy. These 200-ish mile trips are popping up all over. In California alone we have the JMT, Roper's Sierra High Route, the Southern Sierra High Route, the Yosemite High Route, the Kings Canyon Basin High Route, the Solomons Trail and now the John Muir Route. I could easily have missed listing a couple of them. These are more than simple backpacking trips, but I don't think of them a through-hikes, either. (I do know what "through hike" actually means, but I wouldn't say I had "through-hiked" the JMT to someone who has done the PCT. Just my take on it, trying to go with a with a little humility.) To my mind, these trips are characterized by the necessity for at least one re-supply and usually two (unless you're the type who can pop off 20-mile days routinely, which I have never been able to do.) No matter how you characterize the mid-ranger, these are great trips for the advance backpacker who lacks the time and/or the attention span (me) to pull off one of the true long treks.

Congratulations, tiesing! Putting one of these trips together must take a very strong inner drive and a remarkable discipline to finish the job and then write it up for others to enjoy. Thanks for the contribution, and hats off to you.
Snowtrout
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Snowtrout »

Cool read so far. I love reading about our local history and adventures like John Muir (probably explains why I'm a history teacher).
Looking forward to the book.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I would define a "through route" as one continuous time frame to go from point-to-point of whatever you are trying to cover, usually a mountain range or for the PCT Mexico/US border to Canada/US border. In other words, it is whatever the developer of the route decides. There are also routes that "circumnavigate" some feature, like Mt. Rainier. I always thought a "circle Central Valley" route would be fun; PCT through Sierra, Trinity or Marble Mountains to the coast, "Coast Trail" to San Louis Obispo, then back over whatever the range is south of Bakersfield.

I like your idea of being like Roper and outlining a general route without tons of specifics. Unfortunately, shortly someone will do the route, record a GPS track, put it on the internet, and then it will become just another bucket list "follow the dots" route and (in my opinion) degraded like the HSR has become with too much information, too many careless cairns and well worn foot paths. But enjoy the pureness of your new route while it lasts. I really think the best thing that could happen for the route is for it NOT to become popular.