Kern river valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Kern river valley

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Oh yes! We had a great little Meet-Up. I did not know where you went after we parted. I managed to get to the real "Meet-Up" half a day late and missed everyone. I had my own private "meet-up" with all the Keweah Basin spires. Great trip. Even caught fish on one of the Picket Lakes. The fish was not so pleased with our 'Meet-Up" when I ate it.
hsv
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by hsv »

Thanks again for all the replies. Snow looking to be significantly below average this year. Any guesses on difficulty of Tyndall creek crossing in late June this year if weather patterns hold as is?
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Mike M. »

Late June is still pretty early in the hiking season, even in this below-average snowfall year. Expect lots of water at the creek crossings at least through mid July. This is also prime season for mosquitoes, so come prepared.

Mike M.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

Here is an old video of mine:

https://youtu.be/xMmHD1_lOPA

Tyndall Creek is at around 6:20. This was later June 2016 for reference. There might some other stuff of interest as we go up Kern Canyon obviously.

It is really hard to say even now what and when the melt will be like.
hsv
Topix Novice

Post by hsv »

Thanks! Unfortunately can't change trip dates. I'll keep watching and keep lower if needed. Going to need walk-up permit so plenty of flexibility.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

hsv wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:44 pm ... Going to need walk-up permit ...
In case you haven’t read about changes (hopefully not permanent) to the permit process, there will be no “traditional” walk-in permits issued for Inyo N.F.
The trailhead quota normally reserved for walk-ins (40% of the total) will be made available 2 weeks before your entry date - but you still need to reserve online.
hsv
Topix Novice

Post by hsv »

I was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up. Another logistical hurdle.