A Short Ski Tour in Desolation Wilderness, Feb 26-29/2021

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: A Short Ski Tour in Desolation Wilderness, Feb 26-29/2021

Post by Harlen »

Jim F writes:
The Sno Park is 0.6 miles (slightly uphill) off the 50 on Johnson Pass Road. How did you find the traction on that road? Despite no recent snow, on Christmas eve I struggled on it in my Toyota Corolla and have since been launching from the Donner Summit Sno Park.

If you came up the 50, did you notice if the turnout for the Mt Ralston TH (across from Camp Sacramento) has ever been plowed?

Give my regards to Bearzy.
Driving in on Hwy 50, and the Johnson Pass Rd. was fine, but on the way out in the dark, it was very sketchy driving for me. Probably due to all of the snow-plowing, the center line was vague to non-existent, and it lacks reflectors. It was dark as hell, and every other vehicle coming at me seemed to have their "brights" on! Maybe I've reached the age when my rods are failing-- oh well.

I also notice that when I begin to drive after spending time in the mountains, it all seems too fast. I feel like I am going along at a fine pace, and then see that I am driving 30 MPH. I must piss people off, but its interesting; it makes me wonder if the mountains return us to sanity? It doesn't last long; by the time I reach the freeway, I am hurtling along at 75 as if it's the most natural thing in the world.

Never noticed that turnout Jim.

p.s. Bearzy says "Hi" to you too. Thanks for the comments, Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Thanks for the report, looks like a great time.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

C9, do you snowboard as well as ski? I have seen very little of it, being off by myself generally. I saw something that blew my mind up on Mt. Ralston. A couple of snowboarders met me on the summit with their big friendly labrador. The young guy said it was too icy for the dog to make a safe running descent behind him, per usual, so this is what he did:

He backed over the steep eastern edge, with the board canted up at a 30 degree angle, and began slowly skidding backwards down the icy slope, while holding to the dogs harness, who was skidding down above him! I thought I was about to see a disaster, but the guy had amazing control of the board. He was controlling the dog's descent, and looking over his shoulder to plan his way between the rocks, and the ice surface was such that his snowboard was barely penetrating it. Well maybe this wouldn't surprise you snowboarders, but I was truly amazed. After about 100' of this crazy system, the guy judged the snow surface and angle okay for them to cut loose, and he turned and began carving down, but he still held onto the dogs harness till it was safe for the dog to run.

I'd seen video footage of both skiers and snowboarders side-slipping down, but that was always facing down the slope. Live and learn, I guess. :smirk:
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:35 am C9, do you snowboard as well as ski?
Nope, I have a job and I don't like putting skins on for the flats. Thus I don't snowboard ;-).

I've never skied Ralston somehow, despite it being one of the closest mountains to the bay. I've always thought of it as a corn snow objective, the north & east faces are a pain to get to, and they create some huge avalanches in pow conditions.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks for sharing this fun TR. Wowza, those sunsets and sunrises look amazing :D :D
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Beautiful region. I've done several winter time expeditions into Desolation over the years as it's my backyard so to speak living in the Tahoe/Reno region. Funny.. I've had skis and been doing downhill skiing for several years now and have done some backcountry as well, but never back into Desolation. Definitely something I need to do... but probably next year at this point as my Masters Thesis is due in May and I really need to finish it at this point.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Lovely report and awesome photographs of a place I am familiar with but in a season that transforms it. I often wonder what my favorite haunts would look like in winter, and now for one of them I know!
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Superb! Your shot of the bowl from Ralston had me wanting to drop in so bad!
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

It looks like you had a great time in the cold. I envy your skills. Thanks for posting.
maiathebee
Topix Expert

Post by maiathebee »

Fun! I "toured" Ralston along the ridge from hwy 50 near Sierra-at-Tahoe earlier this year---ended up hiking on dirt/rocks like 1500 feet before the skins even went on, got off course due to the siren song of pleasant snow on the descent + ended up with a horrible cliffy manzanita bushwhack on the way out. Your way looks way more pleasant. Hoping to get out for a little overnight at Susie or Aloha before the snow melts!
oh hey! you're reading my signature.
that's nice. want to check out my blog?
here it is: plutoniclove.com
ig: @plutonic_love