North Guard Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

North Guard Lake?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Tinkering with a route that includes East Lake and am trying to figure if I could do a side-trip to North Guard Lake. Has anyone been there? It looks nearly impossible to get to without huge elevation gains and losses. Supposedly fish in the lake.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: North Guard Lake?

Post by oldranger »

I believe giantbrookie has been there and found it to be devoid of fish.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

Great question. I have not been there but it is on my mental list of "intriguing but possibly difficult places to get to." Maybe you can find some climbing reports about north guard peak and see what route they took? I think I found some info that way but I don't remember what I read...
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

OR is probably correct, according to my SEKI map NG lake is fishless as is the drainage just to the east of Cross Mountain.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

You can climb North Guard from East Lake or from Sphinx Lakes. Neither would drop down to North Guard Lake. Since Old Ranger said he thought there were no fish there, the reason to drop to North Guard Lake would be pure exploration. If I spent the effort to get there, I would want to spend a night, but would not want to carry much - perhaps a "planned bivy" would be a good strategy.

2.3 miles / 2770 gain to pass from East Lake
1.5 miles / drop 2070 to North Guard Lake

This would make a round trip of about 8 miles, 4850 gain if done as a day hike! :eek:

Looks to be more difficult to get to from Sphinx, very steep on the Sphinx lake side. Although a bit shorter and less elevation gain, Sphinx Lake itself is harder to reach. The mountain you almost climb is Francis Farquhar. NW ridge is Class 3.

North Guard Lake may qualify as one of the more difficult lakes to get to in the Sierra.

North Guard Lake2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

Judging by my old topo map, it looks like the easiest way to get to the lake would be via Bubbs Creek . . . if you can find a place to cross the creek that far downstream. As for fish, you never know. It's a fairly big lake.

Mike
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

If you look at Google Earth, ascending from Bubbs Creek does not look possible- steep slabs, water running down, overhangs, etc.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

A few pics of the slabs from Bubbs Creek are here:

https://www.climber.org/reports/2014/1855.html
Mike M.
Topix Expert

Post by Mike M. »

If you look at Google Earth, ascending from Bubbs Creek does not look possible- steep slabs, water running down, overhangs, etc.
Wandering Daisy, I checked Google maps last night and you are absolutely right. It looks way too gnarly for my blood. It just goes to show the limitations of the old 80 minute topo maps (and even the 40 minute maps in this case).

TurboHike's post of the link to Steve Eckert's report is really illuminating. Given your skill set, I'm sure you could do this route with a light pack but it is way beyond my comfort level. Nevertheless, now I've got the itch to see it one day; just have to find a way to get there. It is a very well protected piece of paradise.

Mike
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Mike M. wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:39 am
Wandering Daisy, I checked Google maps last night and you are absolutely right. It looks way too gnarly for my blood. It just goes to show the limitations of the old 80 minute topo maps (and even the 40 minute maps in this case).

TurboHike's post of the link to Steve Eckert's report is really illuminating. Given your skill set, I'm sure you could do this route with a light pack but it is way beyond my comfort level. Nevertheless, now I've got the itch to see it one day; just have to find a way to get there. It is a very well protected piece of paradise.

Mike
I’m not familiar with any “40 minute” or “80 minute” map series. Please provide references. USGS has historically issued mapping products at 7.5, 15, 30, and 60 minute (1 degree) scales.