North Guard Lake?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: North Guard Lake?

Post by Mike M. »

Ironmike,

Sorry, I wrote that with my brain turned off. I was referring to the old 15 minute maps that show elevation lines in 80 foot increments. I have a collection of these maps for most of the Sierra and feel most comfortable planning trips using these maps. The 7.5 minute maps (40 foot increments) are useful too but I don't own many of them.

Mike M.
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Mike M. wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:17 pm Ironmike,

Sorry, I wrote that with my brain turned off. I was referring to the old 15 minute maps that show elevation lines in 80 foot increments. I have a collection of these maps for most of the Sierra and feel most comfortable planning trips using these maps. The 7.5 minute maps (40 foot increments) are useful too but I don't own many of them.

Mike M.
Got it. Makes sense.

I also have a large collection of 15’ maps, and agree with you on their utility.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Sorry I haven't been checking in for a bit (too busy with the usual geology stuff). First of all, about the fish situation in North Guard. I visited the lake on Sept. 6, 1999. I fished for an hour plus and observed no fish, nor sign of them. The lake has a network of channels at the inlet end which should support a veritable fish hatchery if trout had ever been introduced the lake. I saw no fish in these channels, nor anywhere else in the lake, nor did anything hit my assortment of retrieves, including deep ones. Although I hesitate to confer a "fishless" tag on a lake based on a bit more than one hour's observation in the afternoon, I would put this in the category of "likely fishless".

It IS a remote place, so it just getting there feels special. The best route goes directly from the highest Sphinx L (easternmost one) to the gap south of Mt Farquhar. That gap is strictly class 2 even on the steeper SW side. In spite of the ease of ascent and descent (N side is really easy) I remember being uneasy about making such a long solo descent somewhat late on a long day that began at South Guard Lake (also fishless, I think). My spirits didn't really get brighter until I started ascending coming back. Best fishing prospects in this area appear to be the larger upper Sphinx Lakes and Big Brewer. There don't appear to be huge fish in these lakes, but the top end looked to be in the 15-inch range as of 1999.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jmherrell
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by jmherrell »

I did a similar (direct) route from Sphinx Lake 10514 to Lake Reflection. We crossed the southeast ridge of Mount Francis Farquhar and the ridge separating North Guard Creek from Ouzel Creek without visiting North Guard Lake. Both ridges were class 2.
tomba
Topix Regular

Post by tomba »

I wonder whether it is easy enough to climb Cross Creek valley and traverse to North Guard Creek valley. On the topographic map the climb to Cross Creek valley seems a little bit less steep than the climb to North Guard Creek valley.

Edit: On Google Earth that route doesn't look too good. There are some overhangs on the way to Cross Creek and the hop over the ridge to the other valley is steep.
-- Found trash? Please pack it out. Thank you.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

Well since you asked, I attach a few routes that I would consider. Not that North Guard Lake is necessarily along a path anyone might naturally take.
overall copy.jpg
When it comes to climbing out of Bubbs, in satellite view the rocks just west of North Guard Creek look a lot more broken up, so they may not be the same long scary slabs. Conversely, they could be worse.
map bubbs copy.jpg
satellite bubbs copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Very nice Cameron. I would definitely favor the route from Bubbs. Those slabs look more like a godsend to me as compared to the other routes.
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Post by CAMERONM »

vein.jpg
It *appears* that there is a nice vein running the length of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.