Taboose Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Taboose Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Has anyone actually been over Taboose Pass since the fire? How is the road to the trailhead? If you cannot get there with 2wd, where do you park?
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Taboose Pass

Post by Enigmagic »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:39 pm Has anyone actually been over Taboose Pass since the fire? How is the road to the trailhead? If you cannot get there with 2wd, where do you park?
I'm also curious how extensive the fire damage was. Taboose Pass reopened on January 1st and it's looked pretty snowy since.

Someone else will have more recent experience, we were there in August 2018. The last half mile or so was the worst. We have high clearance 4x4 and had no issues, just slow. I think it took 50 minutes from 395 to the trailhead. Almost all of the 2wd cars were either in an old track at 37.0095, -118.3129 or near the stock paddocks around 37.0086, -118.3186. There was a Mazda 3 at the trailhead though. Hopefully they've graded the road since the fire.
ExploreABitMore
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ExploreABitMore »

I know of someone that was going up there regularly, but the they never commented on the damage. I interpreted that as it must not be too bad.

I was last there a couple years ago. Before that it was maybe almost 10 years. I was surprised by the deteriorated road condition, or maybe I just didn't remember all the bumps. Not bad, not 4x4, just a bit bumpy and slow as Enigmatic said.
Sierra Nevada, Mojave Desert, Night Sky Photography: http://www.evanthomasphoto.com/
SirBC
Topix Regular

Post by SirBC »

-------------
Dave | flickr
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

The link seems locked- and I am not on facebook anyway. So briefly, what is the condition of the road?
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi WD
His FB says road worse than normal. Dry trial well above 9200’
Where exactly is this? Never heard of Taboose pass
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Thanks! It is one of the rigorous east side passes, north of Sawmill Pass, south of Big Pine, goes to PCT north of Pinchot Pass. Access to Upper Basin.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Rather than create a new thread, I thought I’d just ask here: Even in a dry year like this, does water remain readily available along the trail up to Taboose pass into mid-August? I would assume so, but have never been on this trail so thought I’d just get some confirmation here.
thegib
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by thegib »

To Aaron: Every year I think the east side water will vanish, ought to vanish, must be gone. So far I've been surprised every time. Of course I wouldn't be the one to contradict Hume, one shouldn't assume the past holds lessons for the future - which appears unprecedented and a-historical these days. Pine Creek was flowing really well 2 weeks ago, what with hailstorms/downpours every day for a week.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thanks for the information. If anyone else has been up the trail lately and can give me an idea about the flow, I would appreciate it. Trip is still a couple weeks away.