Blast from the past

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Blast from the past

Post by oldranger »

My wife has been going thru old photos and placed this pic in front of me. This was taken sometime in the late 80s when I was the Roaring River Ranger. As I recall I rode my stock up to the Grand Palace Hotel and left them there with my tack left at the Trail Crew Camp. I then hiked up toward Colby Lake but left the trail and continued up the drainage east of the Whaleback. About 1/2 way up the little valley i noticed a pine marten scampering down toward me. I stopped and watched as it finally noticed me and dove into a crack in the granite slab. He/she continued to play peekaboo with me for about 10 minutes! Pretty funny! Continuing to the head of the drainage I traversed across to Triple Divide Pass the dropped down to Gacier Lake where I found an Outward Bound first aid kit spread all over the place. As I dropped down to upper Cloud canyon a thunderstorm moved in and I just barely got my tent set up before the deluge began. Quite the day!
Scan 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Blast from the past

Post by sekihiker »

That's gorgeous country where you once worked. For a few more photos of the area, including one of oldranger's summer home in 1988, go to:
http://www.sierrahiker.com/Geography195/index.html
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Lovely photo. I hiked to Colby Lake in 1969...and loved Cloud Canyon so much I took my wife Bach there a few years ago...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

balzaccom wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:41 am Lovely photo. I hiked to Colby Lake in 1969...and loved Cloud Canyon so much I took my wife Bach there a few years ago...
Was it a classical trip?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

oldranger wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:37 pm
balzaccom wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:41 am Lovely photo. I hiked to Colby Lake in 1969...and loved Cloud Canyon so much I took my wife Bach there a few years ago...
Was it a classical trip?
He only took the trip because he was Baroque.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Thanks @oldranger There's something instantly nostalgic about photos on real film.

PS, @sekihiker : That 1988 photo of everyone outside Roaring River ranger station with their huge external frame packs. . . I cannot help but chuckle. :)
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Here is a photo similar to oldranger's taken from a point a little farther away on Triple Divide Peak. A trip report for the hike, taken in 1991, is at: http://www.sierrahiker.com/TripleDivide ... index.html
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:45 pm
oldranger wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:37 pm
Was it a classical trip?
He only took the trip because he was Baroque.
Thanks guys. Comes from posting from my phone. Gotta love auto-correct..especially if it follows a conversation on classical music. I thought about going "Bach" to fix it, but then I decided that would just kills the jokes.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

sekihiker wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:12 pm ... Here is a photo similar to oldranger's taken from a point a little farther away on Triple Divide Peak ...
Bill - I really like your photo - something about the exposure (or the film) makes it look like a painting - maybe something in the “Hudson River School” style.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

grampy wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:14 pm Bill - I really like your photo - something about the exposure (or the film) makes it look like a painting - maybe something in the “Hudson River School” style.
Thanks for the compliment. It's one of my wife's favorite photos of all time, and mine too. Clouds may bring weather, but sometimes they make a photo special and give it a sense of drama.