TR: Evolution region butterfly loop (Evo Basin, Evo Valley, McGee Lakes, & Lake 11092) - August 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Evolution region butterfly loop (Evo Basin, Evo Valley, McGee Lakes, & Lake 11092) - August 2020

Post by kylekuzma »

LMBSGV wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:04 pm I really enjoyed your report, photos, and video snippets. Darwin Canyon, Darwin Bench, Evolution Valley, and McGee Lakes are among my favorite locations in the Sierra and one of the most stunningly beautiful. Your vivid, eloquent descriptions did them justice.
Laurence that means an insane amount coming from you. Your Kaweah Basin report, which i quoted in my report of the region, was one of my inspirations to start writing TRs in the first place. Thanks again
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Evolution region butterfly loop (Evo Basin, Evo Valley, McGee Lakes, & Lake 11092) - August 2020

Post by Harlen »

What a cool trip. Thanks for putting together this fine TR. I really enjoyed reading your report, and seeing your photos and videos. Like wildhiker, I have never been up McGee Creek, and I really like the look of that wild area. I have also long desired to get into the McGee Lakes; I looked down at that amazing turquoise lake at the top of Goddard Creek, and decided that I absolutely had to get there-- preferably in summer, for a change, just to gaze into that beautiful blue color. Thanks again for the inspiration Max, this is the very best thing you can do for us via our HST connection.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by robertseeburger »

Very nice trip report. I especially enjoyed the wide angle photos.. And to me the best was just the old standard one..from evolution valley looking up to Darwin.. cant get tired of looking at this shot, and yours was excellent. I did a trip up to McGee Lakes in 2017, a heavy snow year, and everything was frozen so it was good to see your shots...they are better. I went over McGee Pass ( I mistakenly called it Sapphire Pass in my TR) and I had a difficult time..had to lower my pack in places..but that was due to steep snow. Looks like you had some problems descending as well, but not too bad.
There is a good use trail that angles more to McGee Lakes coming from Colby Meadow, further north than your line. Looks like your route takes a shortcut..probably saved some time. Really enjoyed your report!
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

great report!

i was scheduled to do the exact same trip (minus 11092 & without a base camp) starting august 21, but the smoke was bad enough that day that ritter was barely visible from the mamoth cam. hopefully 2021 works out.

ps congrats on the new contract ;)
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

Harlen wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm Thanks again for the inspiration Max, this is the very best thing you can do for us via our HST connection.
Happy I could help Harlen. I've definitely enjoyed some of your TRs over the past few years so figure it returning the favor