Sardine lake John Muir Wilderness (little onion valley)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
walkawhile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Sardine lake John Muir Wilderness (little onion valley)

Post by walkawhile »

Has anybody here explored Little Onion Valley and Sardine lake? Its on my Tom Harrison Map but I've never heard of it. Any beta would be appreciated! I'm planning on heading over Kearsarge and meeting some folks at Roads End. Then we'll do the Rae Lakes loop. Since I have some extra time I thought I'd explore the area around Onion Valley. Cheers!
Enigmagic
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Sardine lake John Muir Wilderness (little onion valley)

Post by Enigmagic »

I haven't been there but did some work adding this trail on OSM (it's on Caltopo now too). From satellite it looks like the trail is pretty good up to the turnoff to the old mines around 10,500ft. The forest service has a decent track above that point, though it largely mirrors the old USGS quads and was probably just a ranger looking for remnants of a trail while following the map. It looks like it's returned to nature, if it was ever really there in the first place.