Log Crossing the Middle Fork Kings River in Le Conte Canyon

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Log Crossing the Middle Fork Kings River in Le Conte Canyon

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Rogue Photonic's 111-day trip report from 2012 (on whitneyzone.com) mentions a downed tree crossing the Middle Fork of the Kings River near the ranger hut in Le Conte Canyon. Does this crossing still exist, and if so, is it safe or sketchy? I'm looking for a route that will take me from Ladder Lake over the MFKR so I can access the Dumbbell Lakes area.
Enigmagic
Topix Regular

Re: Log Crossing the Middle Fork Kings River in Le Conte Canyon

Post by Enigmagic »

_DSC8930 (3).jpg
this is Grouse Meadows looking up towards Ladder Lake (follow the valley towards the top left corner) in August 2019. looked marshy and deep in some spots but much better than backtracking towards the ranger station.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

I had considered crossing over and going up into the Dumbbell Lakes area last year.... There were some trees down near where Cataract - Glacier - Palisades Creek meet (east side of creek looking west):

SHR-JMT-Middle Fork - 1 of 1.jpeg

I didn't really seriously look around for a safe/good crossing, as I had to decided to go further North and ended up coming back via the Middle Fork trail. I took the photo to use it for the GPS point in case I wanted to come back.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Loon, can you clarify - did this log cross Palisade Creek?
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by commonloon »

Yes, Palisade Creek. Sorry, I didn't read your original post carefully enough (re near Ranger station). I didn't fully assess if it was doable either.

I've been wanting to hit both Dumbbell lakes and Ladder Lake (and checkout The Citadel up close) for some time. So, your post peaked my interest.