SEKI Wilderness Permit Reservation Moving To Recreation.gov

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI Wilderness Permit Reservation Moving To Recreation.gov

Post by Wandering Daisy » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 am

SEKI has always charged $15 per permit, reserved OR not, regardless of group size, regardless of trip length. I believe it raised that to $20. I think there is also a per-person charge of about $5. If you only do a trip or two a year and have to drive a long distance it is not significant; but if you live close by and do regular trips, say 10 a year, than it becomes significant. It in effect favors more infrequent large groups and long trips, and discourages more local use. Now whether you favor the end effect or not is individual and your personal economic situation.

Regardless of costs, I do hope some first-come permits can be done this year.

Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: SEKI Wilderness Permit Reservation Moving To Recreation.gov

Post by Lumbergh21 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:43 am

Wandering Daisy wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:59 am
Regardless of costs, I do hope some first-come permits can be done this year.
I totally agree. I'm just glad that they finally switched from fax to on-line reservations where I know ahead of time what dates are available for the trailhead that I want or what trailheads are available for the date that I want, and I'll know if I have a reservation versus waiting and waiting, not even knowing if they received my faxed reservation request.