Bear reports/sitings in Dusy or Le Conte area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Robin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Bear reports/sitings in Dusy or Le Conte area

Post by Robin »

Hi

August 12th I am sending my bro-in-law, 17 year old nephew (aka The Mule) and my 9 year old neice into Dusy Basin to head to Le Conte so they can meet up with me on the JMT. We'll then travel north for about a week to the MTR to meet up with our entire family for a week. Sounds fun, eh?

Anyway, my bro-in-law is worried about bears in the Bishop Pass/Dusy/Le Conte area and though he will be properly equipted with cannisters, he'd just like to know if there's been any activity up there this year.

So, oh great informers of the backcountry, what do you say. Any known activity up in that area this year??

Thanks for your help with this! :nod:
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Phil R was just thru that area. Phil???? He didn't mention seeing any bears. PM him and ask.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tory8411
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Le Conte Canyon

Post by tory8411 »

Last year at this time we went over Bishop from South Lake down into Le Conte for the first night and had at least two in camp. Two were milling around at night around 9pm but stayed away from our camp and then when we woke about 530-6 there was a young blond in camp sniffing around. No problems at all. What was really cool was how friendly the deer were as well. Almost reach out and touch close. It was strange how they weren't worried about the bear. He may have been too young. We didn't see any others the whole trip.