TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

Post by Harlen »

Thanks Jim, small compensation for all the fun I'm having on your website. You mention caltopo, and I wonder if that might be a better place to download maps to add to TRs? I am trying to figure out how to use the USGS site without much luck. Any advice is welcome. Cheers, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Caltopo user here. I haven't tried downloading Caltopo maps or gps tracks into a trip report, but I do use Caltopo to create maps with planned tracks and download those to have paper copies to go along with the Caltopo app on my phone. If I can download a pdf of a map to my computer, I'm sure it wouldn't be a problem to include it in a trip report.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Caltopo also lets you export maps as JPEGs, which can be included in a trip report just like photos.
-Phil
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I finally had the time to actually read this and look at the heart-stopping photos tonight (my son’s wedding took up my time and attention). It’s wonderful you did this as your 60th birthday present for yourself. I say heart-stopping since you dealt with exposure that would make my legs tremble and my heart almost literally stop. Congratulations on your intrepidness. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person who occasionally goes down the wrong drainage (it’s why I finally succumbed to getting a GPS). All the wildlife you saw (especially the bighorns) was amazing. Thanks for sharing your great adventure!
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

This trip report deserves to be bumped back up. One of the best I have ever seen/read. I'm glad it popped up when I did a search for Arctic Lake. I enjoyed re-reading it.