TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
robertseeburger
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Circling the K-K Divide, Climbing along the Muir Crest

Post by robertseeburger »

Great Trip report!!
Looks like we are following each other around..
you did Ritter and Bench Canyon in 2018 (enjoyed your TR), and I just completed
I was at many of the places you visited in 2018 and June this year, and you went there too.
Plus both in mono country earlier this year...

Great minds think alike.
Also, I have settled on 12 days as sort of the optimal amount ( 3x this year).. balance of scenery feeling out there vs. weight..
Your amount of medicinal relief is a little light from my perspective.

And it looks like we both got whacked hard by weather on August 10th.. ( just posted my TR)

Nice fish! great trip.
zwoij
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by zwoij »

This is the reason I read trip reports. Fantastic!
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Peaks, passes, miles, fish, lakes, views - Whew!
Thanks for showing you're still human by sharing your few mistakes.
What a fabulous birthday present.
August 10 brought rain to me and my daughter, too.
Last edited by sekihiker on Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

@Harlen
all your reports are excellent, but I think this tops most of them. Also, I’m sure that when you turn 70, you’ll be complaining about not being able to do +5,000’ (??) elevation days as fast as you used to !
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Wow, what a great trip and interesting route. Thanks for sharing your journey and photos! This is a great way to celebrate a milestone birthday.

Nice fish too -- Wallace Creek is some of the best high country stream fishing I've experienced. And I appreciate your tactfulness in not showing some fish to proper scale so as not to incite jealousy among the fisherpeople here. :)
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Ian - Another great trip report with your signature highlights of humor! And congratulations on doing your 60th in such great style! I'm in awe of the mileage and rough terrain that you covered. Even when I was a young 60 year old, I couldn't do that. Now as a doddering 68 year old (also suffering plantar fascitis this year), I've limited myself this summer to trips averaging only about 5 miles a day. But it's all good when you are out there!

-Phil
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

What a fantastic fantastic trip report.

Such amazing lighting you had on this trip (and an eye for capturing it as well.

Thank you!
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for all the kind comments, I really appreciate the the contact with this great community of mountain travelers, and truly enjoy the sharing of our fun adventures. But, why is no one making fun of my gross navigational error at the end-- missing the Main Divide fer Christsake!
I was almost too embarrassed to admit to it. Of course giantbrookie has yet to weigh in, whose careful advice I sought, and then confounded! He of the careful "Macro and Micro trail navigation," I expect he at least will give me some thoughtful abuse.

wildhiker/ Phil, you're too humble. For one, we know your history of carrying giant packs, full of kids, and wet cloth diapers, into the backcountry! Secondly, plantar fascitis sufferers (a very close friend is one) do not as a rule hike 5 miles a day with a backpack! They head for the couch at the end of the day and start moaning and mixing drinks. We wish you good luck with that tough, and painful condition.

Thanks to all again for the nice comments, Ian.
Last edited by Harlen on Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Electra
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Electra »

Loved this report so much it pulled me out of lurk/slacker mode. What a great trip. You really captured the essence of that part of the Sierra and thank you for sharing your knowledge of the flora and fauna. An amazing birthday trip and an inspirational one at that. A navigation error seems almost fitting as reminder of how things can easily go wrong in the mountains.
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Thanks for the great trip report. It was fun to read. I'm so used to seeing your reports with your puppy companion. You must have felt his absence. I bought hiking binoculars this year but didn't take them on my last 7-day trip because of weight (though they are fairly light).I think I'll bring them next time. I loved your description of the wildlife you saw. I've often thought about the coyotes that must be about but that are rarely seen. Wrights Lakes Basin and Bighorn Plateau are special. The highest lake looks beautiful. The two times I've been there I've camped at great spots close to streams in the lower part of the basin.