TR - A Ridge Too Far (Upper Blue Canyon via Wishon)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
David_Caruso
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR - A Ridge Too Far (Upper Blue Canyon via Wishon)

Post by David_Caruso »

I really enjoyed reading your post. Beautiful, really.

I've quit on trips with less against me than all that.

Also...I can't quite tell from the pictures...but I'm pretty sure that brush is "Deer Brush" under a stand of mixed White Fir and Red Fir. It's a type of Ceanothus.
100Peaks
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by 100Peaks »

Michael, I really enjoyed your trip report. I am not sure how I ended up on this older thread, but it was very enjoyable. You may get a kick out of my little trip report from 1987. We were even getting lost in that area back then!

https://www.100peaks.com/blog/2015/09/0 ... ry-unfolds

It is definitely on my list to return, but not sure if I'd go via that low route.

Cheers!

Derek
Snowfire
Topix Novice

Post by Snowfire »

In July 2020 a Sierra NF trail crew sawed their way to the KCNP border on the Blue Canyon Trail. Of course that still may leave a lot of trees down on the Park side. In 2019 I ran into a strong hiker who had just done Blue Canyon via the lower trail, crossed the White Divide somewhere, and returned to Rancheria TH via Crown Pass. I like the idea of Mantle Pass/Hummingbird.

I had poo-pooed the idea of using a GPS as a crutch. After wandering around the Crown Valley region in its thick brushy timber, I have gone over to the dark side.
michaelzim
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by michaelzim »

100Peaks - Well your "resurrection" of my 2020 TR is very timely as just got back from 10 days out in the Tunemah/Blue Canyon Basin which was the aborted goal of last year's trip.

This time went in with a 15 pounds lighter pack (and even less when Harlen carried my tent & a few other items) and a more benign route in = via Florence/Martha Lake/Lake 10232, etc. The whole trip did require 6 (or 7 if include tame Alpine Pass) cross-country passes and a few "REALLY don't look down" episodes on some un-named pass crossings, but I survived getting there.
For me the more gentle gradient for the first days is imperative at my age (a few weeks off 71) including a rest day for every two successive strenuous days - in theory anyhow. Even though much of the hiking was off trail there were no exhausting brush and fallen timber zones to plough through like the overgrown Coyote Pass route.

Re Snowfire and...
Snowfire wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:27 am In July 2020 a Sierra NF trail crew sawed their way to the KCNP border on the Blue Canyon Trail.
...I saw no evidence of that at all in August 2020, though you may be referring to the more southern trail that heads past Kettle Dome and thence down to Tehipite Dome. My sojourn left that main trail at the Crown Valley junction heading north, then soon north-east on the great disappearing Crown Creek/Mountain Meadow to Coyote Pass "trail".

It is all gorgeous terrain and hopefully once I get re-organized and caught up with chores, etc. a new trip report may surface.

Best ~ Michaelzim
erutan
Topix Expert

Post by erutan »

The Pig Chute in Goddard Canyon is a really neat geological feature, and the falls shortly above it is very impressive as well.

Glad your trip worked out well - was thinking of you when I bailed on a longer trip due to the rain and went for a shorter one I had been toying with for a while.
Last edited by erutan on Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

michaelzim wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:12 pm 100Peaks - Well your "resurrection" of my 2020 TR is very timely as just got back from 10 days out in the Tunemah/Blue Canyon Basin which was the aborted goal of last year's trip.

This time went in with a 15 pounds lighter pack (and even less when Harlen carried my tent & a few other items) and a more benign route in = via Florence/Martha Lake/Lake 10232, etc. The whole trip did require 6 (or 7 if include tame Alpine Pass) cross-country passes and a few "REALLY don't look down" episodes on some un-named pass crossings, but I survived getting there.
For me the more gentle gradient for the first days is imperative at my age (a few weeks off 71) including a rest day for every two successive strenuous days - in theory anyhow. Even though much of the hiking was off trail there were no exhausting brush and fallen timber zones to plough through like the overgrown Coyote Pass route.

It is all gorgeous terrain and hopefully once I get re-organized and caught up with chores, etc. a new trip report may surface.

Best ~ Michaelzim
I'm so glad you made it in there after all you went through last year! I very much look forward to seeing a report. That is truly amazing country, even by the highest of High Sierra standards.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Giantbrookie writes:
I'm so glad you made it in there after all you went through last year! I very much look forward to seeing a report. That is truly amazing country, even by the highest of High Sierra standards.
It sure was a nice trip John, that Tunemah Lake is a wild sight. We tried fishing it, and your name came up more than once. Mainly me stating that there may very well be great fishing in Tunemah, but only for the major league talent like you possess. I didn't even have enough line to get into the vasty deeps. it was more than enough for Michael and I to just gaze at the azure blue lake.

We had a great time, and route was fantastic. TR's coming along soon.

Some of Michael's nice photos:

DSC01772.jpg
Martha Lake.

DSC01903.jpg
Tunemah, and the pass we came over to get there.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just got back home from two trips and am looking forward to your trip report. I did make it to Tunemah Lake and fished the lower lakes (nice fish). I suspect I was there a few days before you and Harlen. It will be interesting to see our two trips via different routes to the same destination. I sat in my tent during several storms wondering how you and Harlen were doing.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Daisy writes:
I sat in my tent during several storms wondering how you and Harlen were doing.
We were thinking about you too, and kept expecting to run into you. We took your advice and camped at the lower lakes to the east of Tunemah, and I even thought I saw evidence of your fishing success in the bigger lake to the south... a few cut off fins in the shallows?

Glad you made it there.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Nice work gents! And thanks for painting that blue arrow at the ridge crossing. I'll look for the cue next tmie I'm up there (I hope!). Cheers, Cameron