TR: Up High Walkabout

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
commonloon
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Up High Walkabout

Post by commonloon »

Thanks Ian. Glad you enjoyed it, if it inspired then that is the best I could hope for!

I re-labeled the image bobby49 was questioning, Bobby was right it was the Whitney ridgeline. It is the last image in the 1st post of this thread. The 3rd image is looking East from Tyndall Col towards Mt Williamson. I need to work on my photo skills...
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I have just enjoyed your TR for the second time through-- what a great route! I read about your Tyndall Col, and Versteeg climb, and it sounds alright. For your "shortcut" to Army Pass-- did you traverse above Soldier Lake? I believe I saw that route on my snowy trip in there.

Lastly, you lamented the leaving of garbage up around the climber's camp at Iceberg. Well guess what, most of it is now gone. I took a stroll around Iceberg Lake, and it turned into an hour-long garbage haul- _uck!! I fished out a lot of big plastic bags (no wag bags luckily), and tattered gloves, long underwear shirt, a broken water bottle, balloons, and a lot of food bags, and other shite! I laid it all out to dry at my camp, and explained it to the neighbors, who were both mountain guides. Well first one, then the other offered to take it out for me, since I was going onward for another week. That made my day, and I hope it renews your faith in the climbing crowd Paul.

Luck, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 pm For your "shortcut" to Army Pass-- did you traverse above Soldier Lake? I believe I saw that route on my snowy trip in there.
Yes. We approached Soldier Lake from above a bit, N.E. by a nearly dry creek that fed it, and contoured over then camped by the little lake S. of the Major General. There is a use trail at of that goes up to the main Mt Langley trail N.E. of the swampy bit shown on the USGS map.
Harlen wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:12 pm
Lastly, you lamented the leaving of garbage up around the climber's camp at Iceberg. Well guess what, most of it is now gone. I took a stroll around Iceberg Lake, and it turned into an hour-long garbage haul- _uck!! I fished out a lot of big plastic bags (no wag bags luckily), and tattered gloves, long underwear shirt, a broken water bottle, balloons, and a lot of food bags, and other shite! I laid it all out to dry at my camp, and explained it to the neighbors, who were both mountain guides. Well first one, then the other offered to take it out for me, since I was going onward for another week. That made my day, and I hope it renews your faith in the climbing crowd Paul.

Luck, Ian.
Thanks Ian! That is so awesome!