TR: Roper’s High Route to Marion Lake (Aug 7-13, 2020)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
HighPlainDrifter
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: Roper’s High Route to Marion Lake (Aug 7-13, 2020)

Post by HighPlainDrifter »

Love this route, thanks for sharing...great write up and photos...ive been planning a similar tour except after going down Cartridge pass/JMT, swing over to Bench Lake and up Arrow Pass/Arrow Lakes Basin, bushwack Window creek down to Woods...seeing that early 2000s tarptent made me wish I never sold mine...
Be Safe. Keep Calm. Think Clearly. Act Decisively.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

Great report Flamingo!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Nice report. I've wanted to do something similar to this for a few years, but I've been worried about doing it solo. I've found a couple of guys who seem to enjoy hiking with me and at my pace, so maybe next year. Easier to handle a trailhead idiot like that on your way out when you don't need to worry abut the car you're leaving behind. Obviously amoral, so nothing to prevent him from "getting back at you" for telling it like it is.
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular

Post by AaronRDavis »

Thank you for the great report! I just did this exact loop(with a night at Bench Lake) in late July, and I am already dreaming about returning to this special area again.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Awesome photos, TR and one of my favorite bits of the SHR! Thanks for posting Flamingo.
wmds
Topix Novice

Post by wmds »

Thanks for sharing a great trip report, loved the photo of Marion Lake. This place is truly special, amazing how many of us cherish the time we spent there. Enjoyed reminising along your route. I did Roper's route back in August 2002, but we finished with a night at Bench Lake followed by one on the lower lakes near Arrow Peak before descending to Woods Creek. I did have to laugh at the idea that your tent from 04 is vintage! Sadly, that makes most of my gear vintage. Even my old SEKI Forest Service Map is from the 90's. lol.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

This was a great report to an area I've mostly never visited -- thanks so much for sharing your trip and the photos!