TR: McGee Pass to Cotton Lake, Aug 7-10

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: TR: McGee Pass to Cotton Lake, Aug 7-10

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for the excellent trip report, and so sorry to hear that it was cut short by health concerns!
-Phil
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

I really enjoyed your TR kpeter, but I’m sorry to hear you weren’t feeling well. You did the right thing leaving early, imo.

We almost crossed paths. My friend and I camped at the same Cotton Lake spot the night before you did, then again two nights later (we were at Grinnell in between those nights). When you were coming down McGee Pass, we were probably hiking through Tully’s upper tarns on our way to Shout-of-Relief Pass.

(Perhaps you also met the two Russian-accented fellows staying at Tully Lake?)
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi kpeter,
From BigMan's note, it appears that you threaded the needle at Cotton, and got a little solitude after the zoo at McGee. I've seen some pretty clear evidence of bear activity around Big McGee, so I'm surprised that they still let folk hang food. I guess they were lucky. And, like others have commented, some great photos! It would be hard to get tired of that view back up the canyon at Red Slate! Thanks for a delightful report, Cameron
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

The dry browning conditions probably didn't help your attitude staying around. I won't be backpacking again till September, just way too dry. After an average winter, that zone is most enjoyable with greenery, wildflowers, and abundant water, late July through early August. IMO all those Minnow Creek areas would have been adding too much effort better spent by more relaxed semi base camping experiencing the area and exploring the zone you had reached. Better exploring Minnow Creek areas starting from Edison then to Graveyard and over Silver Fox Pass or Goodale.