Cliff Lake (Dnkey Lakes Wilderness) 6/24-25

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Cliff Lake (Dnkey Lakes Wilderness) 6/24-25

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I finnaly have the pictures up from my Cliff Lakes trip last month

The rest of the shots are at http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/5599 ... VB?start=0
It took me a while to get this up because I have been (still am) totally fixated on next week's 5-day trip on Rae Lakes Loop :D I didn't take many pictures on the way up this trip because it was 3:00 PM by the time I hit the trail and the other two in my party were 45 minutes ahead of me. It was intesting pushing myself to do the 4.7 miles (with 1240 ft. gain in the last 3.3 miles) basically non-stop. Made it in about 2.5 hours. That may not be fast for many of you, but for me it was good time. I felt great when I got there and great the next day too. I will see how I do with 3 more days of food in the pack.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I did this trip about 10 years ago. It was one of my early backpacks with SnowDude. It was before I started posting pix online. I'll have to look it up again. :)

Have fun at Rae Lakes!
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Strider
Topix Regular

Post by Strider »

How were the mosquitos? Last year I got eaten alive at Cliff Lake.
'Hike long and perspire'
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Nice photos and report MM. I really enjoyed Cliff Lake when I was there a few years back.

Cliff Lake from "above the cliff".
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

awwwww mannnn - you had to post that today - members of the KRVHC are hiking a Dinkey Lakes hike tomorrow - I so wanted to join to see a new area. your pictures look nice wish I could go now. well I will be stuck on the east side again - but at least I will be back above 14k :D
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Snow Nymph--Thanks for the ID on those flowers. I can never seem to remember names, even my own :retard: . BTW thanks for passing my message on to Eric.

Strider--they were bad on the trail below the switchbacks, but at the lake they were non-existant.

Shawn--nice picture. I wanted to go up there but it was a short trip (less than 24 hrs. on trail).

tomcat--so sorry to hear that you will be "stuck" on the east side at 14,000'. :-({|=

I leave tomorrow for Rae Lakes :D

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.