Campsite Advice for Lamarck Col/South Lake Loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Campsite Advice for Lamarck Col/South Lake Loop

Post by kdemtchouk »

I’m planning on doing an abbreviated version of the North Lake/South Lake loop (going over Lamarck Col) in a couple of weeks and am in the process of planning my daily miles.

What are the best places to camp in (a) Evolution Basin and (b) Dusy Basin? I am mostly optimizing for photography, somewhere with a good sunset/sunrise would be perfect!

Specifically, for (a) it seems there are options at Evolution, Sapphire, and Wanda lakes. And for (b), the lake closest to the Bishop Pass Trail seems to be over-used, so I’m looking at Lake 11388 and the larger lake directly above it.

As always, thank you for any advice!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Re: Campsite Advice for Lamarck Col/South Lake Loop

Post by Bishop_Bob »

Darwin Bench (above Evo Basin) has great views of the canyon below. I've always been tuckered out and wanting to camp by the time I reach the bench from North Lake.
astrogerly
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by astrogerly »

Lake 11393 in Dusy is a great one for photography purposes, but they are also all good. I’ve had some good reflection photos at that first lake, but really enjoyed the solitude at 11393 when I was there (about 6 years ago?!). Might not be as much solitude now, but there are always ways to find it.
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

Another vote for Darwin Bench. That area and the view it affords are spectacular.

http://highsierratopix.com/community/d ... &mode=view
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

Agree, the larger lake (at 11427') above Lake 11388 is beautiful. When perched on the bench above it, the alpenglow off of Isosceles Peak with Lake 11427 below is awesome.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

You can hardly go wrong with anything between Darwin Bench and Sapphire Lake. It's all wonderful. Perhaps not helpful, but IMO accurate at least!

I will note that if not well acclimatized, depending on what direction you go over, that getting to Darwin Bench from the Lamarck TH in one day wore me the **** out and gave me pretty gross AMS.

I ended up camping in between the two main lakes in Darwin Canyon, and for my dinner, I only had the energy to lie in a fetal position in my tent and eat pathetic fistfuls of trail mix in between quietly groaning...
Last edited by MichaelRPetrick on Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdemtchouk
Topix Acquainted

Post by kdemtchouk »

hahaha duly noted! :)