Extra day activity on Lyell Vogelsang loop

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Extra day activity on Lyell Vogelsang loop

Post by wildhiker »

Boothe Lake is kind of down in a hole. Fletcher and Vogelsang Lakes are on benches higher up. Cold air sinks at night. I bet Boothe Lake is the coldest spot in that area. I stayed there once and did not like it.
-Phil
sizarah
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by sizarah »

wildhiker wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm Boothe Lake is kind of down in a hole. Fletcher and Vogelsang Lakes are on benches higher up. Cold air sinks at night. I bet Boothe Lake is the coldest spot in that area. I stayed there once and did not like it.
-Phil
Makes sense, thanks! I think since the HSC is closed this year we might even try and take advantage of that and camp at Fletcher without the crowds.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

I don't really have advice on where to go, but I just camped at the Vogelsang HSC on Sunday, July 26, and besides me, there was one other group of four and two park rangers, who obviously weren't staying in the camp itself. So, not crowded. The only side trip that I took on my way from the headwaters of the Lyell to Vogelsang HSC was to Ireland Lake, which was interesting terrain, but not the kind of lake I was looking for. Not a great place to soak your feet, wash off, etc IMO. Interesting photos and terrain though. I also swung by Emeric Lake the next morning. I enjoyed taking the trailless route to its outlet and back down to the trail, but I didn't think it was anything special.