going to our volcano

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

going to our volcano

Post by SSSdave »

Oddly, haven't done a backpack yet this pandemic year but likely to finally though 2 weeks ago I did drive to the Eastern Sierra to go into lower Hilton Creek but aborted after noticing the mediocre mule ears conditions.

This will be into Lassen NP, a hike in mostly cross country of less than 3 miles and less than 2k feet that at least online info shows no information or images of that I expect people's jaws are going to drop looking at my expected images of. Posting here beforehand just to show it isn't going to be some lucky accident haha. Latest Sentinel Hub image shows some snow still on big peak though most has melted and expect flowers should now be near peak with mosquitoes on the wane. Also an infinity pool dusk spot. Non quota walk up permit from the entrance station kiosk. After 2 nights will spend another couple days along SR89 doing some fishing exploring down ignored upper Hat Creek where the huge 2012 fire has left tons of logs in the creek and route into that has likely kept any others from checking that out. Have some Sierra plans beyond that.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Re: going to our volcano

Post by SSSdave »

Ok but not this summer haha. Maybe next June. (:

After a bone dry sunny warm to hot last 3 weeks, July thunderstorms have returned today along the eastern High Sierra and will continue off and one through next week. Yes its true, we might get to see some more interesting skies finally. So please wear your tin hats to be aware when hail begins.

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Reno NV
123 PM PDT Fri Jul 17 2020

...For early next week, high pressure will remain across the West with
temperatures staying a touch above normal for the Sierra and
western Nevada. A trough approaches the CA coast midweek bringing
another factor into determining chances/location of thunderstorms
for the week. So while temperatures will moderate a bit by
midweek, there will be potential for thunderstorms each day,
especially for the eastern Sierra...

----------------
MR02196-02199y.jpg
June 29, 2014

Thus more reason for me to break free of my shelter in place rigor mortis that has been complicated by other recent events. Note I had posted about going up to Lassen for a few days, but then a relative's funeral dates changed. Also the type of images I wanted would be much better had so much snow not melted away, better waited till another June. Actually there are several destinations this summer in the high country I've concluded are not worth the effort given how much is now melted out, decreasing landscape aesthetics.

But have fleshed out a trip up into the amazing geology of Convict Creek that have a detailed plan for in order to get my weighty camera load up into that area. Trip #5 into that realm and i bet despite the melt I'll find some spots to boot ski about Red Slate. First day will hike later in the afternoon from the 7610 Convict lake trailhead just 2.7 miles up to the huge cottonwood stony flat at 8.4k or a modest 800 feet that befits a start lugging 60# for a 132#er in his eighth decade. Most backpackers are not aware one can camp there because they cannot see anything due to all those green trees. Nicely shady even mid day and easy to cool off in the many creek channels, though one needs to hunt about to find the soft sandy spots as much is stony. I know that is the case because I never see any used camp spots therein with most people climbing at least to Mildred at 9.67k, a 2.1k effort. One of the most sun shielded north south oriented deep narrow canyons in the range. Also this canyon is where Star Trek Insurrection was partly filmed with all its otherworldly geology.

Second sunrise will hike the 2.3 miles 1.3k to Mildred and spend a couple hours up the canyon before then continuing up to the north end of Dorothy at 10285, another 600 feet and one mile where will find a place to camp. Thus 1.9k 3.3 miles total and an unpleasantly bright dry zone for camping with stunted trees. But need to camp there, likely taking a swim and the reading a book in the shade or napping a few hours, in order to easily reach photo spots after mid afternoon and then about early the next morning. After returning to camp that third morning, will go to the other end of Dorothy up on the ridge where it is much more pleasant with flowery greenery, pretty meadows, streams, pikas, and nutcrackers, and spend a night or two there leisurely basecamping before returning to the trailhead. Definitely worth bringing some fishing gear but will see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Going to visit Hat Creek Falls?
Not shown on many maps, they are just about where Hat Creek leave the NP and enters NF. More of a cascade than a real waterfall, but still scenic.
Some maps show a road system that gets close, but the roads are pretty rough and long out of maintenance.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well no. Per above had to abort per personal business and then decided Lassen will have till wait till another June. Note was there in 2015. But as to Hat Creek, was referring to the Noble Trail road from SR89 where the big 2012 fire burned. Creek below if one goes a mile from the highway is full of logs providing cover I'll bet has been ignored. Maybe someone else can check that out and report back. In the mean time have a date with Dorothy.
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dave54 »

Just as well. Much of LVNP Backcountry is now closed (July 17) to overnight camping due to chronic bear conflict.
Reports that canisters and bear spray are no longer a deterrent.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=