Pear Lakes

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Pear Lakes

Post by jimmeans »

Can anybody explain the difference between the Pear/Emerald Lake trail and the Pear/Emerald Pass Through trail in SEKI?

Are there requirements for first night camping locations?

Thanks,
JM
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Pear Lakes

Post by Wandering Daisy »

There is an alternative section of trail to Pear Lake, but I do not know its name. The main trail goes higher, pretty much a straight shot, to Emerald Lake; the other is a bit longer and skirts north around the buttress, and can be dangerous early season with ice and snow. But I suspect both are fine now. I prefer the one that skirts around the buttress because the views are great. The straight-shot one is pretty boring. You have to get to Emerald Lake or farther to camp.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Post by jimmeans »

The SEKI permit application lists these as separate entry trails. Seems kind of strange that what you described would require separate entry trail names, especially if you still have to get to Emerald Lake after these trails rejoin to camp.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:42 am There is an alternative section of trail to Pear Lake, but I do not know its name. The main trail goes higher, pretty much a straight shot, to Emerald Lake; the other is a bit longer and skirts north around the buttress, and can be dangerous early season with ice and snow. But I suspect both are fine now. I prefer the one that skirts around the buttress because the views are great. The straight-shot one is pretty boring. You have to get to Emerald Lake or farther to camp.
Pretty much this. The higher trail is known as "the hump", the lower more exciting verison is known as the Watchtower trail. People slip off the watchtower trail in the early season when it's icy, and fall to their deaths every once in a while. Shouldn't be a concern now.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

jimmeans wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:55 am The SEKI permit application lists these as separate entry trails. Seems kind of strange that what you described would require separate entry trail names, especially if you still have to get to Emerald Lake after these trails rejoin to camp.
Ah, you're probably confusing that with the Pear/Emerald pass thru. This means you don't plan to camp at Pear Lake, but plan to continue on to the Tablelands or whatever. Which path you take to Pear lake is irrelevant. They're just trying to count where people are camping correctly.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted

Post by jimmeans »

That was my original question. What is the difference between Pear/Emerald Lake trail and Pear/Emerald Pass Through trail? Thanks.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

jimmeans wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:46 pm That was my original question. What is the difference between Pear/Emerald Lake trail and Pear/Emerald Pass Through trail? Thanks.
Yeah, I suck at reading and just read Daisy's original post :p
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The wording confused me because the permit words sounded like two trails. Yes, you either get to camp at Emerald or Pear Lake or if you have a "pass through" you have to go beyond. However, the "trail" does not go beyond! There is a use-trail of sorts up to Tablelands, but the "trail" ends at Pear Lake, or at the Ranger Cabin below the lake. I am not sure how you would "pass through" other than up to Tablelands.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:23 pm The wording confused me because the permit words sounded like two trails. Yes, you either get to camp at Emerald or Pear Lake or if you have a "pass through" you have to go beyond. However, the "trail" does not go beyond! There is a use-trail of sorts up to Tablelands, but the "trail" ends at Pear Lake, or at the Ranger Cabin below the lake. I am not sure how you would "pass through" other than up to Tablelands.
You could go to Alta Peak.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

Pass thru permit means you aren't camping at the first allowed camping spots, designated sites at emerald and pear lakes. You would head up the river or the use trail to tablelands. There is a different permit for Alta which also has a lot of camping restrictions.