TR: Red, White, (and Blue) Loop. July 3-6, 2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Red, White, (and Blue) Loop. July 3-6, 2020

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,

Over the holiday weekend I completed a route that circumnavigates Red & White Mountain. My friend CB joined me. The route starts and ends at McGee Creek, and it links four passes: McGee, Shout of Relief, Bighorn, and Hopkins. Along the way, we also climbed Red Slate Mountain.

Mileage: 31.3 miles with +10,558’ elevation gain.
Special Gear: Ice axe, but never used.
Snow Conditions: Relatively low for this time of year. I crossed only small patches of snow, and was fine in my running shoes.
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 11.00.52 AM.jpeg

Details:

On July 3rd, I rendezvoused with my friend CB in Bishop. We drove to Big Pine and setup a car shuttle at the Big Pine Creek trailhead. CB is joining me for three days, then continuing south on his solo journey to the Palisades. He'll reach his car at Big Pine Creek sometime next week.

We drove back to the McGee Creek trailhead, and found the parking lot was full. We parked alongside the road and sorted our gear while we waited twenty minutes for a parking spot to open. We started hiking at 1pm, and enjoyed a non-eventful climb to Big McGee Lake. Along the way, we passed a dozen groups returning from day hikes.

We camped west of Big McGee Lake, in an established site near the tarn (10,586’). Mount Crocker and Mount Stanford glowed golden in the sunset.

On July 4th, I awoke to the sunrise heating my tent and I knew the day would be warm. We started hiking at 8am, and climbed McGee Pass by 9:30. Along the way, we encountered a steep patch of ice under shade. We managed to safely cross on the existing footsteps. However, without the footsteps, we would have needed crampons or to down-climb 150 feet to a safer route.

At McGee Pass, we stashed our non-essential gear and turned towards Red Slate Mountain. We ascended a good trail along the southern ridge. I could feel the altitude slow me down, and my friend said he was developing a headache. We rested at a rock outcropping 600’ below the summit. I fell asleep in the warm sun, and awoke thirty minutes later feeling revived for the final climb. It seems that CB and I are both still adjusting to the altitude.

We reached Red Slate Mountain summit at 11:30. The highest section of the peak looks treacherous from a distance, but I was happily surprised to discover that the trail weaves through the complex cliffs. It’s class 1-2 all the way.

We had the summit to ourselves. In the clear and cloudless sky, I could see south over the Mono Divide and north past the Minarets. 150 miles to the west, I saw the blue silhouette of the coastal range. The long views and easy weather made this was one of my favorite Sierra summit experiences.

Back at McGee Pass, we collected our gear and and descended towards Tully Lake. In the afternoon sun, the west side of the pass was a light show with green glowing meadows against red volcanic shale. We followed a chain of waterfalls down the canyon. We paused to collect water and apply mosquito repellant. We eventually reached Tully Lake. We swam in the (relatively) warm water, cooked meals on our stoves, and prepared for more climbing.

In the dramatic evening light, we strolled up grassy ramps towards Shout of Relief Pass. The route was gentle walking. We reached the pass at 6:30. Tired from our long day, we descended the pass and camped at the unnamed tarn (11,078’). We used an established campsite on its north shore, set between boulders and the shoreline meadow. As sunlight disappeared, I sat on a granite slab and drank whiskey while watching alpenglow illuminate the unnamed peaks that crown the basin.

On July 5th, the granite spires to our east blocked sunrise until 8am. I slept late, and we enjoyed a slow morning. I lounged on a flat rock in the sunshine, ate a granola bar, and watched a hungry marmot munch roots by the lakeshore.

We climbed grassy slopes to a smaller tarn, and then followed a use trail to Bighorn Pass. On the east side of the pass, the best descent route was not obvious. I had previously read that we should follow a route to our right down grassy terraced gullies. This advice was correct, and we soon found a trail again. It required some scrambling down loose scree, and also some boulder crossing, but otherwise the trail was solid class 1-2.

Laurel Lake is a slice of heaven. We collected water from the shore, and took a long break to inspect the rather large granite blocks strewn about the northern meadows. If I had more time, I would have taken a zero day here.

We found a good trail on the western shore of Laurel Lake. We followed the trail south through a chain of cascading meadows and eventually into pine forest. When the trail steeply descended down the eastern side of Laurel creek into a bushwack, I suspected we had lost the route. My GPS showed a trail on the western side of the creek, so we changed course. We crossed the creek on big rocks, and regained a trail about 50 meters beyond that.

The switchbacks are steep from Laurel Canyon down to Mono Creek. I felt strong and enjoyed the rhythm of my big strides between boulder obstacles. I imagine that hiking this trail in the uphill direction must feel relentless, especially in the afternoon heat.

We eventually reached Mono Creek, and I walked with CB to the crossing for Second Recess. His plan is to continue south for a solo adventure, while I return to my car over Hopkins Pass. The Mono Creek ford was thigh deep, and crossing seemed safe. We shared farewells, and I watched him disappear across the creek into the forest.

I turned east, and cruised upstream on the Mono Creek trail. I rested at a nice campsite overlooking the canyon, near the Hopkins trail junction. I cooked noodle soup with chicken broth, stretched my legs, and prepared for more climbing. I passed two backpackers returning to Lake Edison, but otherwise the Mono canyon felt empty.

At 4pm I started up the Hopkins trail. The route was easy to follow and the grade was gentle. I settled into a meditative cadence of breathing and walking, and soon found myself in a grassy meadow above 10,000’. I followed a use trail towards the tarn (10,872’), but this trail led me into a canyon choked with cottonwood. To avoid bushwacking, I followed cairns along a weird route across rock ledges. In hindsight, I think a better route would be to use grassy slopes a quarter mile to the east in order to avoid ascending to that tarn altogether.

I reached Hopkins Pass at 6:45 pm. I rested at the oversized cairn and watched the sunset illuminate the Mono Recesses far to the south. This vista is huge and classic. To the north, Red & White Mountain cast a long shadow over Big McGee Lake. Daylight was fading, and I needed to descend before darkness arrived. I was worried about the snow cornice on Hopkins Pass north side, but I was happy to discover that it had melted enough for me to climb around its eastern edge on rocks. The Hopkins switchbacks were mostly clear of snow, and my descent was straightforward. Although I walked beneath the shadow of Red & White Mountain, the surrounding peaks glowed golden in the sunset. At the bottom of the pass, I crossed the outlet of a glacial tarn (11,040'), and then followed the use trail towards Big McGee Lake.

For my final night of the trip, I camped in an established site west of Big McGee Lake. The mosquitos seemed worse than before, so I collapsed in my tent, listened to a history podcast, and feasted on peanut M&Ms.

On July 6th, I returned to the McGee trailhead in three hours. The hiking was easy, downhill, and along well-engineered trail. I passed a few uphill day hikers, but the traffic seemed much less than I had seen on the July 4th holiday. Back at the trailhead, I soaked in the cold creek and washed off the dust. I then climbed into the back of my Subaru and took a long nap.

Photos in the comments.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:10 am, edited 28 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: TR: Red, White, (& Blue) Loop -- July 3-6, 2020

Post by Flamingo »

Photos 1 of 5. . .
DSC04132.jpeg
DSC03771.jpeg
DSC03781.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:08 am, edited 5 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Photos 2 of 5. . .
DSC03822.jpeg
DSC03827.jpeg
DSC03832.jpeg
DSC03833.jpeg
DSC03843.jpeg
DSC03844.jpeg
DSC03865.jpeg
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Photos 3 of 5. . .
DSC03877.jpeg
DSC03878.jpeg
DSC03911.jpeg
DSC03920.jpeg
DSC03929.jpeg
DSC03990.jpeg
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Photos 4 of 5...
DSC03999.jpeg
DSC04000.jpeg
DSC04005.jpeg
DSC04033.jpeg
DSC04066.jpeg
DSC04077.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-07 at 10.08.54 AM.jpeg
DSC04080.jpeg
DSC04083.jpeg
DSC04092.jpeg
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Last batch of photos. . .
DSC04095.jpeg
DSC04098.jpeg
DSC04099.jpeg
DSC04104.jpeg
DSC04128.jpeg
Last edited by Flamingo on Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
astrogerly
Topix Regular

Post by astrogerly »

Looks like a great time for sure! So many amazing areas in the Sierra. We'll be in Hopkins Lake/Pass area as part of our upcoming long weekend in Pioneer Basin. Might go to the Recesses instead, but Hopkins looks nice too.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice. The contrast of rock colors in that area are special and the view from Red Slate Mtn is outstanding. You can see that peak from a very wide area, so of course you can see a lot from the top.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CAMERONM
Topix Expert

Re: TR: Red, White, (and Blue) Loop. July 3-6, 2020

Post by CAMERONM »

Looks like a great trip. The weather was great that weekend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR: Red, White, (and Blue) Loop. July 3-6, 2020

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks for the report and familiar images. One of our strongest obviously most fit hikers.

With its colorful Paleozoic Era geology, some of my favorite areas though have yet to get into the Hopkins drainage. Would spend a full week in 3 of those zones but not during this dry year with sub par wildflowers.

In 2016 we passed by that same tarn below Shout of Relief Pass with a pretty grassy meadow with fine views behind the lake you camped at. Our destination was the outlet of Rosy Finch Lake. Good job finding that route to Bighorn Pass. In 1995 there were no ducks thus a good topographic exercise to avoid down climbing to Rosy Finch many end up at.

Laurel Lake is indeed scenic although I camped 3/8 mile downstream near the big meadow in below image where the peaks north have a better view while missing the great views south. So remote, out of primary routes where solitude is easy. And a zone I need to return to for a week as it was much too snowy in 2017 when I didn't have a choice moving it later due to my Oregon trip for the eclipse.

In early August 2017 the topo unmaintained Laurel Creek trail above 9.7k had obviously long since disintegrated to short sections between seep meadows probably due to a lack of horse packer use from loss of fishing interests. Crossing Mono Creek with much higher water looked very difficult.