South Lake North Lake trip report 6/22-6/27/2020

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
walkawhile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

South Lake North Lake trip report 6/22-6/27/2020

Post by walkawhile »

I'll be brief here:

6/22 (Monday) the South lake parking lot was empty and the road closure delayed us for about 5 minutes. No snow to speak of on Bishop pass. Mosquitoes in Dusy Basin were 5/5 - the worst I've experienced in 35 years.

6/23 Saw a Ranger at LeConte station. He didn't ask for permits.

6/24 The snow was rapidly melting on Muir pass. Unavoidable wet feet on the river crossings on the way up the pass and in Evolution Basin. Had Evolution lake all to ourselves :)

6/25 Mosquitoes were bad in Evolution Valley but mellowed out when we descended to San Joaquin River Valley. River crossing at the base of Evolution Valley was mid thigh and moving fast at 11am (I'm 5'9")

6/26 Mosquitoes in Humphreys basin approaching Piute pass also 5/5 hide in your tent bad.

6/27 (Saturday) we saw probably 100 people heading up the trail from North lake trail head. Parking lots at both lakes were packed. No lane closures or delays on South Lake road during the weekends.