Trip report: Green Lake 6/17/20

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
deenad
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Trip report: Green Lake 6/17/20

Post by deenad »

Hey all! I went on a getaway to a region I have been wanting to explore. My pal and I went to Green Creek. We found a fantastic dispersed campsite and hunkered down for the cold night in out tents. We woke up the next morning, and after accidentally leaving my InReach on the car hood, (It was then run over and now broken,) we headed off to the trailhead for Green Lake. The trail was so lush and pleasant! We marveled at the beaver pond along the way. Busy Beavers!
beaver pond.jpeg
Most of the trail is shaded by aspen and Jeffery Pine. I just had to hug one because I am a dork that way!
treehugger.jpeg
The trail is fairly easy for the first 2, 1/2 miles, and more difficult the last half mile. Probably an altitude issue for me more than anything. There were only a few other people on the trail. I love the Hoover Wilderness!
The lake was gorgeous! It was a windy day so a mosquito report would not be accurate.
We could have gone on to East or West lake, but I will save that for a backpack. I will be back!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip report: Green Lake 6/17/20

Post by davidsheridan »

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

The ratio of awesome pants to pictures in this trip report is 2:3.

And then I spent the next 20 minutes looking up hikes out of Green Creek instead of working :P.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by dougieb »

Glad you had a good time out there, thanks for sharing your experience. Ive had a couple trips out there, once to Summit Lake and McCabe Lakes and back, the other time straight across the lake you visited, then up over Virginia Pass and climbed Stanton Peak. Lots to see around there.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by wildhiker »

Thanks for posting to show us current conditions. I'm not surprised to hear that it was windy. We've done two backpack trips up that drainage, both in August, several years apart, and got skunked by extremely high winds both times so we left after one night. The second time, we camped at East Lake and there were 2 foot high wind-driven waves crashing on the northeast shore near our camp. Quite exciting.
-Phil
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yep. That has to be one of the windiest areas in the Sierra. We were there one year and I thought a jet fighter was flying overhead--turned out to be a blast of wind howling through the slot. Impressive.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
Jason
Topix Regular

Post by Jason »

Looks awesome! Nothing wrong with hugging a tree! I need to get up there some day.
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

Nice hike to a really nice area that doesn't seem to have the popularity one might expect with all of the positives it has to offer (which is fine).
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

wildhiker wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:10 pm Thanks for posting to show us current conditions. I'm not surprised to hear that it was windy. We've done two backpack trips up that drainage, both in August, several years apart, and got skunked by extremely high winds both times so we left after one night. The second time, we camped at East Lake and there were 2 foot high wind-driven waves crashing on the northeast shore near our camp. Quite exciting.
-Phil
Let me tell you, I will take wind over skeeters any day! 😂
deenad
Topix Acquainted

Post by deenad »

Wow! I can imagine that those waves were exciting! Hey, I returned to the area for a backpack last week and Green Lake was crowded with many first timers. Tons of TP! oddly, when I day hiked up to East and Gilbert, I only saw a few people. 😊
Next year I am going to hike in green creek and out Virginia Canyon in the Northern part of Yosemite.