North-South Lake Loop Starting July 1

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
walkawhile
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: North-South Lake Loop Starting July 1

Post by walkawhile »

HI I'm doing this loop starting on June 22nd. I ordered my permits online, but can't figure out how I'm I'm supposed to pick them up? Seems like every visitor center is closed from Lonepine to Bishop and I can't get anybody on the phone. Does anyone know where to pick up permits? Also any suggestions on where to stay the night before since all of the campgrounds are closed?
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

walkawhile -

try calling the Inyo N.F. at 760-873-2483

As previously stated in various topic threads, the Inyo Visitors Center (ALL location) are operating “virtually” so you need to get the “wilderness rules” talk over the phone, and then they will email you your actual permit (which you should print out and bring on your trip).
See the post by “Schmaltz” on the following topic discussion; on page 8 (or so) of the replies:

‪Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June‬

... see ‪Post‬
‪Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm‬

hopefully someone can answer your “where to camp” question.
2020hiker
Topix Novice

Post by 2020hiker »

walkawhile wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:37 am HI I'm doing this loop starting on June 22nd. I ordered my permits online, but can't figure out how I'm I'm supposed to pick them up? Seems like every visitor center is closed from Lonepine to Bishop and I can't get anybody on the phone. Does anyone know where to pick up permits? Also any suggestions on where to stay the night before since all of the campgrounds are closed?
I've heard calling on the phone can be rough, but that's the way to go. Maybe call the other ranger offices for inyo? mammoth, etc?

Let me know how the conditions are on your trip.
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

@2020hiker FWIW, I did the loop from South Lake to Lamarck Col the first weekend of August 2019 (v. high snow year). The satellite images from 6-10-2020 look very similar to the conditions I encountered--I would say by mid-June, they'll be identical. Here's my conditions report: http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... hp?t=19899. I focused mainly on XC passes, but the on-trail ones were fine. As you'll see, I didn't have any snow gear--just non-aggressive trail runners and poles. Snow on Muir Pass is entirely manageable due to bootpack. Lamarck Col is fine with poles, caution, and mid-day sticky snow following others' boottrack. Bishop Pass was fine, too.

PS - be mindful of river crossings. Although snow is more intimidating on paper when planning earlier trips, more people are killed by water than anything else in the Sierra. Not scaring you--just something to keep in mind!

@walkawhile the best plan--assuming you're staying in a campground for acclimation--might be to just sleep in your car at the trailhead if possible! That's what I'm doing.
GGC23
Topix Acquainted

Post by GGC23 »

Regarding camping, the Forest Service is permitting a few campgrounds to open on 6/12. The list of what's open and what's still closed is here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recmain/inyo/re ... C6HwuFM14o. I would guess that a few more may be opening before your trip. Mono and Inyo Counties both permitted campgrounds to open right after Memorial Day, so I'm not sure why the Forest Service has been waiting so long to open the campgrounds they control. But regardless, looks like they're getting things moving!
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

notis wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:38 am I did the loop from South Lake to Lamarck Col the first weekend of August 2019
We must have passed each other going in opposite directions.
notis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by notis »

@Bishop_Bob I would've loved that! I was there August 2nd-4th. I haven't been able to make it to an HST meet up yet, but would love to meet some of the folks here in person.
walkawhile
Topix Novice

Post by walkawhile »

Spoke with a Ranger today. South lake parking lot is currently open for at least the next two weeks (allegedly). Expect 30 minute delays on the road towards south lake.
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular

Post by Bishop_Bob »

walkawhile wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:50 pm Spoke with a Ranger today. South lake parking lot is currently open for at least the next two weeks (allegedly). Expect 30 minute delays on the road towards south lake.
Is that delay warning for the road after the split off from HWY 168? (i.e., is there no anticipated delay on the road to Sabrina/North Lake?)
walkawhile
Topix Novice

Post by walkawhile »

That's my impression. The official title of the project is something like "South Lake road reconstruction" and it the longer of the two spurs.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/inyo/new ... EPRD705586