Any bear news yet this year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Any bear news yet this year?

Post by hikerduane »

I haven't heard of any bear encounters this bping season yet. Anyone have any news of bears versus bpers/bear resistant food canisters? I belong to a couple bping forums and haven't seen any stories yet like last year of that small group at Thousand Island that had the bear in the middle of the day take the pack of the PCT thru hiker for a bit. Since I am headed out in a couple weeks to the high bear activity area of the Rae Lakes Loop, I was interested in any news. Hopefully, it won't be too memorable, even though I am a little curious to see how my TKO stands up. An a few rocks of course. :lol:
Piece of cake.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by MountainMinstrel »

I don't have a bear report, but I will be doing the Rae Lakes loop from 7/23 thru 7/27. maybe we will run into each other.

ken
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Haven't heard about any issues of bear's and bear resistant canisters yet. I did have a very bothersome bear at Sugarloaf Meadow in Kings Canyon. As I was closing the bear locker one night, I heard the deep roar off in the woods. Again ten minutes later. :paranoid: Then saw it ten minutes saw it on the other side of camp, and given its behavior, I behaved a tad more aggressive than I normally would. All night long, I heard it sniffing around my tent, many times too close for comfort and if I shook the tent I could hear the sound of a several hundred pound mammal scurrying off into the woods. A week later I literally almost tripped over what I think is the same bear about 100 feet from where I camped - neither of us saw each other until we were right over one another - amazing experience almost walking into a bear and then both making eye contact for what felt like forever, and both wondering who was in charge and who should turn tail and run. :eek:
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I'm heading in on July 27, just as soon as the FS office opens so I can get my permit. Kearsarge Pass. I'm debating over whether to pick it up in Bishop or in Lone Pine. Not sure which one would be less busy.

Most encounters Pooch and I had with bears were the almost on top of each other type. I haven't seen any bears since Pooch passed on. With the doggy, we couldn't go to places it seems that have high bear activity.
Piece of cake.
calvin23
Topix Acquainted

Bears

Post by calvin23 »

I was in Kings Canyon this weekend a a park Ranger told me they have had several encounters. The bear cannister i have is no longer resistant to bears and the park Service will now give you a new cannister(one with red label) in exchange for yours. I have the blue one with black top. The ranger told me the bears figured how the get past the notch where the lid is closed around. Apparently the new cannisters have a bigger notch
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I guess not everyone got the message about the new lids, that is good though that they have upgraded lids to distribute. I have the original Ursack TKO which is conditionally approved again when using the aluminum insert. I wish I could tie it to a tree again as it is tough closing it up the last little bit where a claw could gain purchase. If it was tied to a tree the tiny hole would be against the tree or limb. I am kinda curious to see how it holds up and also hoping nothing happens.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Duane

You can also pick up your permit at the Mono Lake Visitor center....the new big building that over looks Mono Lake

I have picked mine up there for several trips on the way down. Do you have it already reserved?
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Hi Anita. I can't make Lee Vining in time to get it there, I work to at least 3 and with my job duties on Thursday which is my last work day for that week, I could work until 5. I have a reservation, I didn't think about picking a permit up in Lee Vining, but then I will be staying around Mammoth Thursday night as camping low just above Bishop is hot along that little creek out of town a short ways. If I stay in Mammoth, I can make Bishop when they open and not have to get up super early and finish my drive to the TH. Like 5:00 AM isn't too early. No sleeping in on my trip, maybe one day if I take a layover day. I hate layovers.
Piece of cake.
madeintahoe
Topix Expert

Post by madeintahoe »

Duane..Have a fun and safe trip! if you are staying in or near Mammoth there is also the ranger station there you can pick it up at.. just a thought. Are you going to go to the sixtyLakes Basin while so close?
We are leaving the day before you on the 26th going in over Shepherd Pass..so I will be thinking of you over in your area. :)
Take care and have a great trip
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Thank you Anita. Just got back from meeting a couple more young ladies in Lassen. Where were they when I was younger and why did they have to bring a boy friend? :crybaby: I'll email you on your thoughts of what to do for two days in the Rae Lakes area, otherwise, I need to see if I can get another day added to my trip so I can go up Woods Creek further north or something.
Piece of cake.