Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Some Eastern Sierra Closures through June

Post by c9h13no3 »

MichaelRPetrick wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 amSeems like chaos. Aren't they just moving the place where people will be ditching cars en masse closer into town?
Yep. Same thing happening here. Parking lots are closed, so people are parking in neighborhoods and pissing off neighbors who did nothing wrong. Parks & trails are still quite full of people, who are doing their best to give each other space. But they're all getting pushed into the same few places that are still accessible. Politicians are trying to thread the needle: they need to appear like they're doing something to avoid pissing off the virus panicked people who want to close everything, and yet not take away the freedoms of everyone. So you get these really shitty half-measures. It may cut down on usage some, since people have to walk/bike some road. But the other park closures are ensuring that usage in still open places stays high.

Fully closed parks are actually quite nice to run in with fewer people, but I suppose you risk getting a ticket in the weird event that a patrol would stop you. Course, you have to be comfortable with being a little on the wrong side of the law. But I think the closures are pretty stupid myself, so I don't mind being a bit disobedient.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
MichaelRPetrick
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MichaelRPetrick »

c9h13no3 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:36 am
MichaelRPetrick wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:01 amSeems like chaos. Aren't they just moving the place where people will be ditching cars en masse closer into town?
Yep. Same thing happening here. Parking lots are closed, so people are parking in neighborhoods and pissing off neighbors who did nothing wrong. Parks & trails are still quite full of people, who are doing their best to give each other space. But they're all getting pushed into the same few places that are still accessible. Politicians are trying to thread the needle: they need to appear like they're doing something to avoid pissing off the virus panicked people who want to close everything, and yet not take away the freedoms of everyone. So you get these really shitty half-measures. It may cut down on usage some, since people have to walk/bike some road. But the other park closures are ensuring that usage in still open places stays high.

Fully closed parks are actually quite nice to run in with fewer people, but I suppose you risk getting a ticket in the weird event that a patrol would stop you. Course, you have to be comfortable with being a little on the wrong side of the law. But I think the closures are pretty stupid myself, so I don't mind being a bit disobedient.
It's getting weird up here in Marin too. Plenty of cars on sidestreets that clearly don't live there... (loaded up with mountain biking gear, etc.)

I've come across rangers a few times, and they usually mean mug me at first like they think I'm one of the offenders, until I get close enough that the sweat-drenched t-shirt makes it apparent that I made it to where I am under my own power.
cdevine
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by cdevine »

So on recreation.gov it doesn't look like you can make reservations for INYO right now. I was hoping to do a later June type trip.
But with all the uncertainty this year I understand.
grampy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by grampy »

I’m pretty sure you CAN reserve for Inyo on Recreation.gov; it still lists the available quota slots, but has simply removed any reference to “walk-up” permits
chulavista
Topix Acquainted

Post by chulavista »

maverick wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:32 pm
They won't tell you that but they will say things like, "hey maverick, can you spread the word that SAR is not coming to clean up your mess."
Oh, they will come, but possibly delayed.
But why would you put yourself "into a mess" to start with, during this pandemic, knowing that your decisions may effect more than just yourself. :\
Normally I'd be with you, but there are tens of thousands of Americans ignoring federal land closures daily right now. There will be hundreds of thousands in the summer, and we need to let our government know that they need to do whatever it takes to get open quickly to protect the land. July or August isn't going to cut it assuming things trend the way they are now.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just because thousands disregard closures, doesn’t mean I will be one of them.
I respect the requests of towns for us to stay away now, during the pandemic, also respect the SAR members, mostly volunteers, that put their lives at risk each season, to not put them and their families at risk, just because I have need to get out.
I will wait till they open up the parks and towns for us again.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cdevine
Topix Acquainted

Post by cdevine »

grampy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:26 pm I’m pretty sure you CAN reserve for Inyo on Recreation.gov; it still lists the available quota slots, but has simply removed any reference to “walk-up” permits

Actually I just checked on recreation.gov under INYO permits and it looks like the calandar is all "Grey out" and you "CAN"T" make reservations.
Just curious if anybody else is seeing the same?.....
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

cdevine wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:42 am
grampy wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:26 pm I’m pretty sure you CAN reserve for Inyo on Recreation.gov; it still lists the available quota slots, but has simply removed any reference to “walk-up” permits

Actually I just checked on recreation.gov under INYO permits and it looks like the calandar is all "Grey out" and you "CAN"T" make reservations.
Just curious if anybody else is seeing the same?.....
I'm seeing plenty of options for Inyo in June. July/August seems pretty much completely booked though, which caught me off guard. I'm hoping walk up permits will be back to normal by mid july.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cdevine
Topix Acquainted

Post by cdevine »

Strange... Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Here is the link below and I can't get any dates to populate for me for permits (INYO).

https://www.recreation.gov/permits/2332 ... 2020-06-24
Bishop_Bob
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Bishop_Bob »

I clicked the link you gave and it works for me (permits come up).

Did you tick "yes/no" for the question about whether your trip is commercial, and did you indicate a party size?