SEKI Permit Issue

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

SEKI Permit Issue

Post by tmorton23 »

Hi everyone,

I posed this same question to a smaller group on FB, but I wanted to see what this audience also had to say. Here's the issue:

SEKI permit applications could be submitted starting at 12:01am PST on March 1, 2020. I sent my application at 12:01:06am on 3/1/2020 (according to the time stamp on my sent email. At 12:18am, I get two emails. One says my application is received and is being processed (at 12:18:24am), one says my application was too early and wouldn't be processed (at 12:18:17am). Unfortunately, I went to sleep right after hitting send and didn't see the response emails until 6:45. I resubmitted my application with my original email with the time stamp of 12:01:06am with an explanation of what happened. I'm assuming the 12:18:24am acknowledgement supersedes the earlier one? I guess I'm just hoping I didn't lose my place in line. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Thanks for any advice/comments!
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: SEKI Permit Issue

Post by Flamingo »

Hi @tmorton23 I had a similar thing happen yesterday. I scheduled my application send for 12:01am on March 1st. I randomly awoke at 2am and saw the "too early" email from SEKI in my inbox. Oddly, I also received an email saying my application was being processed. Anyway, I re-submitted around 2am, and added a message in my email explaining the confusion, indicating that I did previously submit.

The wilderness permit application process for SEKI is becoming (sort of) hilarious. It seems like everyone is using email schedulers, and we're all scheduling our applications for 12:01am. It's basically becoming a lottery, with fluctuations in server-side clocks being the randomizer.
robertbond
Topix Newbie

Post by robertbond »

I too scheduled my application to go out shortly after midnight and received the "too early" email. I resubmitted mine as well.
davidsheridan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by davidsheridan »

same here on the 2 conflicting resonses., then my wife sent another application on Sunday morning arounb 8am, she also got the 2 responses, and there was no way she was too early i am just not going to worry about it.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

I too had the same thing happen: I submitted my application at 12:01am on March 1st, went to bed, then woke up to an email sent at 12:05 am saying that I sent it too early and would not be considered......, then noticed a second email at 12:05 am saying that my application was received and that it could take up to 3-4 weeks to be processed.... I panicked, sent them an email asking them to explain which one of the two emails was correct and also re submitted another application.
Today, to my great relief, I received another email apologizing for the confusion and that the email that said I sent it too early was incorrect and my application was received and will be processed asap..
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

I submitted my application around 7:00am on 3/1 and got both emails as well. I’m assuming the “too early” email was some type of auto response that they forgot to deactivate.
notis
Topix Regular

Post by notis »

They acknowledged that these emails were a server error. My concern is that I only got confirmation for one of the two application emails I sent in (different trips).
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

@notis My recommendation is to re-submit your second application - via a different email address.

Last year, I submitted two different trip applications via two emails from the same email account. The second one never got received/processed. I was told by someone in the office that they use a gmail setup, such that if you submit one application, all subsequent communication from that same email address of yours gets thrown into a single thread and is assumed to pertain to your Trip Application #1. Hence, that ranger recommended using a different email address for any second application.

But I outdid you all. I filled in my form, saved it, and emailed it out, around 2:30 a.m. Next morning, pulled it up to check on something, and was surprised to see that I had not correctly saved my filled-in form...So what I'd sent them at 2:30 a.m. was a blank form. (Rather than right-click "Save" as I'm used to doing, you have to click "Print" and then "Save as PDF" or it doesn't save your changes.) So I had to re-submit. And I did the re-submit via a second email address, just in case (and just to further confuse their office, I'm sure...)

- Oleander
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

Got my permit issue confirmation for 8/13-8/22 today!
tmorton23
Topix Acquainted

Post by tmorton23 »

I got my permit confirmation last Friday for 8/7-8/15. All paid up and ready to roll!