Into the Upper Kern for an afternoon from Lake Reflection?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dougieb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Into the Upper Kern for an afternoon from Lake Reflection?

Post by dougieb »

I've been making the transition from trying to see as many places as possible, to instead trying to experience places as thoroughly as possible. This is echoed in many of the responses here. As I'm sure you saw on your big seki loop trip, the value of a place cannot be quantified by the number of lakes or the size of the peaks- for me it has become more about the sense of knowing a place, with all of its nooks and crannies that has been most rewarding. You'll find your own preference over time. All that said, as long as you're safe, you can't go wrong. Enjoy yourself!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by limpingcrab »

I've taken a day hike from Lake Reflection, up Harrison Pass, onto Gregory's Monument, and down Millys Foot Pass and I think it was worth it. I think it's worth it just for the area around the west side of Ericsson Crags, one of my favorite places. I really enjoyed the outing and the different views you get than the Brewer area, so that's my 2 cents.

I also did that outing with someone who's super uncomfortable on 3rd class so it's not too sketchy (that's the reason we didn't reach the top of Mt Stanford)
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

dougieb wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:20 pm I've been making the transition from trying to see as many places as possible, to instead trying to experience places as thoroughly as possible. This is echoed in many of the responses here. As I'm sure you saw on your big seki loop trip, the value of a place cannot be quantified by the number of lakes or the size of the peaks- for me it has become more about the sense of knowing a place, with all of its nooks and crannies that has been most rewarding. You'll find your own preference over time. All that said, as long as you're safe, you can't go wrong. Enjoy yourself!
Some great wisdom! Thank you sir!
chulavista
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by chulavista »

Soooo many cool peaks in this area. That's where I'd be spending any "extra" time.