TR Agnew,Maclure,Simmons, Lyell, Rodgers

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR Agnew,Maclure,Simmons, Lyell, Rodgers

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Wandering Daisy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:01 am I crossed the outlet of the lower lake, and then walked the north shore and up to the upper lake, fairly close to the outlet stream. It did not seem like anything difficult at all, but I did it on a day-hike, not carrying my pack. Cannot remember, but I think you may have to wade the outlet of the lower lake.
Thanks, so go up near the upper lake outlet stream rather than take the ridge up and then drop back down.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All I can say is what I did. Cannot compare with the ridge route. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by cgundersen »

Hi Ian et al.,
Sorry, but I did not realize that there had been an ongoing extension of this thread until I looked back at it to refresh my memory of some of the same view corridors in Flamingo's recent, very cool TR. So, to address (belatedly) some of the queries/comments:

Ian, that ridge from the Lewis drainage into Hutchings creek basin is a delicate dance. I know everyone has their favorite loose-rock ridge, and this one probably is mine. If not, Rodgers is darn close (again, see Rogue's write up in the off-trail passes section; the route we took made it a bit less dicey). Second: yes, my wife and I had done this same loop back in 2006 (it was my very first HST TR). Third: not a kilt; yes, I have a (Cameron plaid) kilt, but I wear very baggy shorts to ensure that every granite scuff mark draws blood....not really, it's 'cuz I get too overheated if I go for protection.

Balzaccom: yep, we're still using those huge A16 external frame packs that we can squeeze gobs of luxury items into. No new tricks for these old dogs.

Lumbergh: Because of the high snow, we followed major snowfields most of the way down to the lowest (largest) Marie Lake on this trip. But, the surefire way to get to the uppermost lake is to follow the very obvious outlet creek that drains the middle Marie Lake and traverse about 3/4ths of away around the north side of that lake to the gentler contours that then lead to the uppermost lake (that sits right below Rodgers pass). It's all pretty easy trucking and from where you've been, you'd have no problem.

Daisy: I've still got the spoon. It has no identifying stamp on it, so if that sounds familiar, well, I can try to return it!

I'll finish by seconding the high enthusiasm for that area encapsulated in Flamingo's recent TR. And, my main goal in getting back up there in the next few years is to see whether the ultra-blue pothole lake that I mentioned in the 2006 TR is as stunning as it was back then.
Cheers,
Cameron

Oops, my bad, on the 2006 trip, we did NOT do Rodgers pass; we looped around to Blue Lakes and out via North Glacier pass. Rodgers was a few years later...