Trip report - 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP 4th of July weekend

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Trip report - 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP 4th of July weekend

Post by jartelt »

Some friends and I backpacked a 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP over last weekend. The rough itinerary was as follows:

Day 1 - Mirror Lake TH to Snow Creek Trail to campsite north of Mount Watkins
Day 2 - Campsite to Olmsted Point to Tenaya Lake to Sunrise Lakes
Day 3 - Sunrise Lakes to Clouds Rest to JMT (Sunrise Creek) to High Trail leading towards Merced Lake to campsite on bluff before Echo Valley
Day 4 - Echo Valley to Lost Valley to Little Yosemite Valley to JMT to Mist Trail to Happy Isles to Half Dome Village for pizza/beer

Overall we had a great time with few if any issues. Tenaya Creek was only knee deep (using the stepping stones) and was actually reasonably warm. There was still a descent amount of snow between Tenaya Lake and Sunrise, but we were able to navigate this area without even consulting our GPS. Plus the snow was hard enough that we never postholed. Sunrise Lakes was mosquito infested, but we came prepared with DEET and bug nets. Our two other campsites were very nice with not too many bugs.

Here is the full trip report I wrote up with all my pictures: https://backpackers-review.com/trip-rep ... ckpacking/

And here are some highlights:

Snow Creek Trail view

Olmsted Point view

Tenaya Creek crossing

Snow on way to clouds rest

Lookout near sunrise

High Trail view

Lost Valley Sunset

Lost Valley river

Little Yosemite Valley

c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Trip report - 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP 4th of July weekend

Post by c9h13no3 »

Grate Poast!

I have the biggest granite ______ right now.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
jartelt
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Trip report - 40 mile loop in Yosemite NP 4th of July weekend

Post by jartelt »

Thanks! It was a really fun loop. Obviously there were crowds near the valley and by Tenaya Lake and Clouds Rest. However, once we started hiking out towards Merced Lake, we didn't see anyone else on the trail. It was like we had 15 miles of beautiful trail to ourselves. Once we hit Little Yosemite Valley that all changes though (which we expected)...