Tahoe Fire | High Sierra Topix  

Tahoe Fire

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!

Tahoe Fire

Postby mountainLight » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:37 am

I am sure most of you know by now there is a large fire burning in South Lake Tahoe. I happen to have a backpacking trip planned in Desolation wilderness in the coming weeks and was trying to figure out how effected the area would be.

The fire has already destroyed many houses in the area and is only 40% contained as of this writing. Here are some links to info on the fire for those tracking it.

http://inciweb.org/incident/725/

mountainLight
Founding Member

Experience: N/A

Postby rightstar76 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:18 pm

Don't sweat. The fire is moving toward Lake Tahoe away from the eastern boundary of the wilderness. The only part of the wilderness that might be affected if the winds were to change would be the part near Cathedral Lake under Mt. Tallac and Grass Lake above Glen Aulin southwest of Fallen Leaf Lake.

If you're entering the wilderness from the west side, you have nothing to worry about as the fire would have to work its way west over the Sierra Crest through treeline forests and above. Highly unlikely.
rightstar76
Topix Regular

Postby mountainLight » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:36 pm

I am entering through Glen Alpine :) so I have been watching with interest.
mountainLight
Founding Member

Postby mikehike » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:34 pm

The fire missed our little cabin by 100 yards, pretty scarey fire. I have driven through the burn area several times and it is quite hard to fathom how intense the heat was from this fire.
mikehike
Topix Regular

Return to Backpacking / Hiking / Camping