short Carson Iceberg TR

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

short Carson Iceberg TR

Post by TahoeJeff »

My son and I took off last Sunday the 23rd for a quick and dirty overnighter in the Carson Iceberg from the Wolf Creek TH. We were hoping against hope that the creek would be fishable, but it was blown out:

But this was really a ‘shake down’ for hammock camping:

This was the first time I slept in a hammock, and it was pretty darn comfortable. I got them from amazon for under $30 each and the daisy chain tree straps were under $20 each. Both hammock/tree strap combos came in under 2.5 lbs for each combo. So pretty cheap and light. I used a solid foam pad in the hammock, while my son did not.

Since we couldn’t fish, we made a small campfire to enjoy with our gourmet dinner:

We completely dismantled the fire ring before we left restoring the ground to its original condition. We did that to our hammock sites as well.

The only bummer came when my son tried a little flint knapping without eye protection. A small chip missed his eyeball by just a tiny bit. It could have been disastrous but his guardian angel was on duty:

We’ll be using the hammocks again this Summer on future trips, where doable. There will be some fine tuning for sure, but I’m pretty sold on the concept.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
justm
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: short Carson Iceberg TR

Post by justm »

Thanks for the report. Wow your son was lucky !!
windknot
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by windknot »

Thanks for the report! I appreciate the review of the hammocks -- sounds like a great way to camp when below the tree line. From a pure comfort perspective, do you prefer sleeping in a hammock or sleeping in a tent?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

windknot wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:32 pm comfort perspective, hammock or tent?
I've only done the one night in the hammock, so too soon to tell.
After a few more trips/nights in the thing I'll have a better opinion.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

did your son need a stitch?
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic

Post by TahoeJeff »

My wife said we probably should have had it sutured up.
We didn't learn that 'till it was too late.
But my boy says: "chicks dig scars"!?!?

Milton Friedman