Gear Storage

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Spencerc
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Gear Storage

Post by Spencerc »

For everyone who keeps their gear in storage bins do you have any concerns with keeping it in a closed box? Just thinking that it’s better to keep air things out. Right now my tents and sleeping bag live in a shelf in a closet and other gear is in a roll out under bed drawer from ikea.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Things get aired out upon returning home. Sleeping bags go into a storage sack in the closet (loose to maintain loft.)
Not seeing the concern.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

gary c. wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 9:15 am Packs, bags, and bear cans are in the garage. One of the bedrooms with double sliding closet doors has three rubbermaid boxs with lids lined up along the bottom. it's en extra room so when I'm planning/packing for a trip I just pull them out and go thru them right there.
Need to make a correction, my down bags hang in the closet above my boxes.

As for moisture like Russ I air everything out for up to a week before putting it away. Everything has been OK so far with the exception of a couple of my first tents that had the waterproofing separate from the tent materiel. I've never been sure if it was caused by excessive heat in the summer or just old age.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray