Baxter Pass vs the Others

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Baxter Pass vs the Others

Post by gregodorizzi »

All this talk of the brutality and grandeur of Baxter is making me want to give it a try.
Buford
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Buford »

I’ve been over Baxter but none of the other bad ones. It was about 2 years ago in September. I put up a mini report on here.

There is no or little trail in some spots, but navigation is easy. Not terrible bushwhacking. Look out for the stinging nettle.

After all the horror stories I thought it would be worse. I didn’t think it was that bad.
ironmike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by ironmike »

In the end, what makes a trail/pass so difficult or inhospitable? Is it rate of altitude gain, rockiness, lack of maintenance (hence sketchy), heat/dryness, lack of vegetation or reasonable camping locations? All of these are reasonable contributing factors, but the weighting is subjective, ergo I think objective comparisons of the Terrible 4 east side passes are moot. Personally I prefer Shepherd to the other 3 (with Baxter as my least fav), but respect the fact that no other opinion is “wrong”.