Route beta request - Onion Valley Loops

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Route beta request - Onion Valley Loops

Post by stevet »

I am planning a late August 9 day/8 night loop trip, trail + x-country, out of Onion Valley and would appreciate detail that will assist with my route-finding on the x-country segments. (and please let me know if this post would be better in the "conditions" forum)

Background info:
61 yrs, fit, 50 years backpacking experience, 30 one week or longer treks in the Sierra
Miles per day - depends on the route, a few reference points:
- Northville-Placid (Adirondacks), 6 days
- SHR, Tuolumne to Mono Creek, 6 days
- JMT, 13 days

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 4- Comfortable with trail and/or x-country travel

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
- Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country - at ease
- Class 3 terrain/pass/x-country - have experience, but need to take it slow and focus to keep my nerves in check (Saddleback Mtn in the Adirondacks, Cirque Pass while too far to the left when descending to Lower Palisade lake)
- River crossings - knee deep or thereabouts
- Snow travel/Glacier crossings - no glacier experience, am comfortable with the last 200-300ft of late season snow choked passes (Gabbot, Feather, White Bear, Lamarck Col, etc.)

Loop Option 1
Onion Valley to Road's End, SHR through Lakes Basin and on to Upper Basin, SoSHR Baxter/60 Lakes Route, exit over Kearsarge to Onion Valley

Loop Option 2
Onion Valley and pick up the SoSHR through Center Basin then Junction, Shepherd, Rockwell into Wright Lakes Basin. Leave SoSHR join the JMT (maybe layover to summit Whitney) north to L South America over Little Joe Pass past L Reflection to Bubbs Creek, west then over Avalanche Pass, up Deadman Canyon, Copper Mine Pass, Colby Pass to Kern-Kaweah to Junction Meadow, HST to the JMT, north over Forester, exit over Kearsarge to Onion Valley.

Thanks in advance for the info / advice. Steve
rightstar76
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Route beta request - Onion Valley Loops

Post by rightstar76 »

Hi Stevet. Welcome to HST!

I read your post very carefully and I think what you really are looking for is reassurance about Class 3 on both loop options. My personal belief is to choose terrain you feel relaxed and confident with (even if you have the experience and background).

P.S. I recently watched a video covering the SHR between Lake Basin and Upper Basin. I highly recommend it! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nan4cZeyWso
stevet
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Route beta request - Onion Valley Loops

Post by stevet »

rightstar,
Thanks for the reply, especially the video. My inquiry is not so much about reassurance on Class 3, actually the video gets close to the point. From watching I'd say "When crossing Frozen Lake Pass west to east climb first to the left above the lake at ~12,100' before angling over to the pass. Descend from the lowest point." Likewise, if I were to tell someone how to cross Harrison Pass I would say "Do not descend from the low point, instead move east ~150' and make your way carefully down the crumbly talus buttress. Use extreme caution as just about any of the talus boulders may shift position and/or slide when you put your weight on it."

It is this type of advice I am seeking. Being a bit more specific, routing/navigation advice on the SHR between Grouse and Marion Lakes, the SoSHR up and over Baxter, and the routing from Deadman Canyon over Copper Mine Pass then Triple Divide Pass over to the Colby Pass Trail.

Steve