Question regarding Big SEKI loop and the Upper Kern area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Question regarding Big SEKI loop and the Upper Kern area

Post by kursavwilage »

stringbop wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:40 am That trail is still there. I was just on it last summer and it's in decent shape.
Cool. If all goes as planned I'll be using it again.

Thanks for the info.
kylekuzma
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kylekuzma »

kursavwilage wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:40 pm If you decide not to go into the Kaweah Basin and elect to go over Milestone Pass I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Milestone Creek area. From what I remember of that area ( because it was back in 1984 when I was last there) the view across the Kern to the Whitney region was awesome. The general terrain is mostly like glacial polish with a lot of little lakes and streams.
I really want to do both if I can. My initial thoughts are to set up camp at Gallat Lakes (which i hear is phenomenal), and then head into the KB for the day, back to Gallat Lakes to sleep, and then the following day head over Milestone Pass into Milestone Basin where I can then get to the Upper Kern and then back to JMT. I dont really mind missing the hike up the Kern through Junction Meadow. Thoughts? You and a few other people have convinced me that Milestone Basin is something i've got to see while out there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I dont really mind missing the hike up the Kern through Junction Meadow.
Good, because you won't be missing anything and Milestone Bowl is pretty nice too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

Kylekuzma

If that is your plan then it is completely doable. Although the Kern river is beautiful, I agree with Maverick that the hike from Junction Meadow is not as nice as Milestone Creek. In 2008 we hiked up the Kern into the Upper Kern to the Lake that I mentioned previously, I remember the trail was adequate until it started to climb up into the Upper Kern. We spent some frustrating moments searching for trail while being under the constant attack of a great number of mosquitos. Not sure if the trail gets a lot of traffic because most hikers turn off from the Kern to go East to Whitney ..