Gas canister and camping options in SEKI

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Teri
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Gas canister and camping options in SEKI

Post by Teri »

What about fuel canisters at Cedar Grove or Grant Grove? Any available there? Or should I stop at a Walmart in Fresno?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush. I'd stop at WalMart.
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

If you want one right after leaving the airport, there is one (just S of FAT) at 5125 E Kings Canyon Rd - convenient if you are getting back on hwy 180 heading to Grant Grove park entrance.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Teri wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:02 pm What about fuel canisters at Cedar Grove or Grant Grove? Any available there? Or should I stop at a Walmart in Fresno?
Cedar Grove should have some, but they didn't have any in stock early last Sept. after a friend and I forgot our canister at my place (She flew in and I usually go stoveless). So, don't assume that they're guaranteed to have one. Nothing like hauling a bunch of food up Copper Creek that you know you'll never eat :p
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Hi potatopants. After hiking 5 miles in local park earlier today, relaxed this evening working on your issue. So see you will be spending $10 after arriving at FAT on V-line and then another $10 on the return. And then and once at the Visalia Transit Center (VTC) $20 roundtrip for the Sequoia Shuttle. From the VTC it is 5 blocks south on S Bridge Street then about 10 blocks east on E Noble to reach the Walmart maybe a mile or so. I didn't see any other stores nearby that might have canisters. Instead of walking, spend $10 or so on Lyft/Uber/Waze etc to go back and forth to the Walmart. That $50 total still looks a lot less than any car rental. The shuttle just goes to the Giant Forest Museum where one takes the green route shuttle bus to Lodgepole.

Since the permit starts a day after you arrive, and you must pick up the actual permit at the Lodgepole Visitor Center after 7am the next morning, the notion of hassling to go way out to Dorst is ridiculous. The park ought to have special accommodations for the few people that arrive via public transportation for the purpose of backpacking and then need a place to overnight. Thus there is good reason to rationalize a fair solution though it may not square with policies. I'll suggest trying what WD suggested asking people at the campground to share a site. I would expect any female would have success doing so. And if that doesn't work out, would simply hike up the nearby Tokapah Trail along the river a few hundred feet, turn off the trail north, and find something out of sight a short ways up the hill. The topo shows that area minor gradient and Google Maps Satellite shows all forest so that ought be easy.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Thanks, Dave, for this advice. I'm getting in late on a Thursday night for a Saturday start, so Friday will afford me enough time to grab fuel and catch one of the later morning shuttles to Lodgepole. I like the camping advice--I'm going to ditch my Dorst reservation and bank on the kindness of strangers.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Hi folks, follow up question -- If I do keep my car rental reservation, I noticed that the SEKI site says the road to Moro Rock and Crescent Meadow is closed to private vehicles on weekends. I'm guessing that also applies to people heading into the backcountry? I hate that the shuttle doesn't begin until 8am because I am an early riser and would plan to be well on my way at that point.

If that's the case, would this be an argument for sneaking a few miles into the backcountry the evening before my permit?
TurboHike
Topix Regular

Post by TurboHike »

potatopants wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:33 pm Hi folks, follow up question -- If I do keep my car rental reservation, I noticed that the SEKI site says the road to Moro Rock and Crescent Meadow is closed to private vehicles on weekends. I'm guessing that also applies to people heading into the backcountry? I hate that the shuttle doesn't begin until 8am because I am an early riser and would plan to be well on my way at that point.

If that's the case, would this be an argument for sneaking a few miles into the backcountry the evening before my permit?
I think the road is closed to cars on weekends when the shuttle is running. Call to make sure, but this is my understanding. So if you leave early enough, you can drive.