Blackcap Basin snowpack

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
sekihiker
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Blackcap Basin snowpack

Post by sekihiker »

Here's a link to a cool video showing snowpack in the Blackcap Basin: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 48564.html
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Blackcap Basin snowpack

Post by bobby49 »

I wonder if there is any snow left up there. (just joking)
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

It's disturbing to me to see another example of the continuing erosion of Wilderness protections. The article says that a PG&E crew flew by helicopter to several snow survey sites, including Blackcap Basin, which is deep inside the John Muir Wilderness. Such a helicopter landing is completely in violation of the Wilderness Act, which bans all landing of aircraft, except as necessary in emergencies involving health and safety of people (for example, rescuing an injured person) or if necessary for administration of the area AS WILDERNESS. This helicopter landings was not necessary for either of those exceptions. We don't need to know the exact snowpack to administer the Wilderness AS WILDERNESS. PG&E needs to know, maybe, to maximize their profits from hydroelectric generation. Shame on the Forest Service for rolling over and playing dead when PG&E says they are going to land their helicopter in the Wilderness.
-Phil
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Seems to me that knowing how much snow pack is critical to health and safety. It allows water managers to estimate how much water to release and still fill reservoirs yet prevent downstream flooding. Use of helicopters also reduces risks of snow surveyors getting stuck in massive snow events. As much as we'd like our wilderness to remain pristine the water storage prvovided by the Sierra is critical to the well being of Californians and consequently so is monitoring the snowpack.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is disturbing to me to see the level of distrust of public agencies. As much as PG&E is partially at fault for recent fires, saying that PG&E use of helicopters for snow surveys is to maximize profits is just not true. California has a very complex system of dams, reservoirs, canals, levees, etc. that take a lot of interagency coordination to operate for our safety as well as the best balance of water use and flood control. The state uses private partners to help with the surveys and PG&E is one. There is a good potential for severe flooding this year and we need all the data points of snowpack to operate reservoirs.

As for impact, is one helicopter taking in a crew, quickly doing the survey and going out any more "damaging" than a crew skiing in for a week? If a winter ski-backpacker were to get in trouble and call for help, a helicopter would fly in. As would a helicopter fly in for a search for a missing skier. Perhaps if we are so worried about helicopters in the wilderness we should also not expect them to come rescue us.

There are a lot of more important wilderness issues than a PG&E helicopter flying in to do necessary work for DWR. Lets focus on important stuff like managing the over-use of the JMT and its impacts.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

oldranger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 am Seems to me that knowing how much snow pack is critical to health and safety. It allows water managers to estimate how much water to release and still fill reservoirs yet prevent downstream flooding. Use of helicopters also reduces risks of snow surveyors getting stuck in massive snow events. As much as we'd like our wilderness to remain pristine the water storage prvovided by the Sierra is critical to the well being of Californians and consequently so is monitoring the snowpack.
I'm not quite so eloquent. I'd just tell him he's been on his high horse so long, he's got the saddle "deleted". But I agree :-P

In other news, cool video.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
gregodorizzi
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by gregodorizzi »

We're going to need to resurrect Richard Dawson to moderate this Family Feud.
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

c9h13no3 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 pm
oldranger wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:52 am Seems to me that knowing how much snow pack is critical to health and safety. It allows water managers to estimate how much water to release and still fill reservoirs yet prevent downstream flooding. Use of helicopters also reduces risks of snow surveyors getting stuck in massive snow events. As much as we'd like our wilderness to remain pristine the water storage prvovided by the Sierra is critical to the well being of Californians and consequently so is monitoring the snowpack.
I'm not quite so eloquent. I'd just tell him he's been on his high horse so long, he's got the saddle "deleted". But I agree :-P

In other news, cool video.
I think your response is totally inappropriate! It is fine to disagree with someone but the disparaging comments about the original commentor are uncalled for and inappropriate for this forum.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

Looks like there will be plenty of snow up there for my ski trip. Of course I knew that already but nice to see pictures of it.
kursavwilage
Topix Acquainted

Post by kursavwilage »

sekihiker wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm Here's a link to a cool video showing snowpack in the Blackcap Basin: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 48564.html
Thank you for the cool video. Pretty amazing seeing all that beautiful snow.....