2019's Big Winter: What's better during a big snow year?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

2019's Big Winter: What's better during a big snow year?

Post by c9h13no3 »

So yeah, it's a big winter. Most people know that this will make rivers more dangerous, passes will have cornices, and mosquito season will last until October.

However, in this thread, I'd like to try and find some positive things that the big winter will actually enhance. I'll make an attempt to start the discussion, but I'm probably the least knowledgeable person here. So help fill in the blanks.

Waterfalls
Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne is the classic waterfall trip, but I've heard that the flow can be so high that bridges are impassable at peak flow. Goddard Creek is supposed to have some pretty waterfalls. Other back country waterfalls that come to mind are Tamarack Lake (pic below, stolen from Maia, because pics are good) and Chagoopa falls. But I'm sure there's others I'm unaware of. This is where you come in.
Waterfall at Tamarack Lake by Maia Averett, on Flickr

Class 2 Scree/Talus/Choss climbs
No one likes climbing a giant pile of kitty litter in the summer, but snow covered, the same mountain could be an enjoyable climb. Talus piles like Mt Brewer and Mt Goddard might be better with some consolidated snow on them? And a lot of the ski mountaineering peaks are garbage rock; Dunderberg, Shasta, and Lassen come to mind. Which leads me to my final point...

Ski or Snowshoe
I've always skied in the resort for years, but I finally took the plunge to ski wild snow in the Sierras this year. I experimented with cross country skis for the first time (and 2 more times after that), and I'm slowly accumulating the gear and avalanche skills to get out and ski when the resorts close this April. In similar winters (2017, 2011), the snow has been relatively good even into June. What's the most newbie friendly way to get into skiing this spring?
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2019's Big Winter: What's better during a big snow year?

Post by TurboHike »

A ski trip to Pear Lake is relatively newbie friendly. If you can snag a reservation at the Pear Lake Winter hut you could carry less gear. Follow the hump trail to Pear Lake (the Watchtower route is too dangerous in winter). The hump trail has yellow trail markers on the trees, so if your navigation skills are rusty, you can just follow the trail markers from the Wolverton trailhead all the way to Pear Lake. I suggest alpine touring gear with climbing skins to maximize safety and fun. Once at the Pear Lake hut, the entire Tablelands is a spring skiers paradise!

If you're looking for a day trip, go to Badger Pass in Yosemite and ski from Badger Pass to Glacier Point. Round trip is 21 miles, start early. The last time I did this there were groomed tracks all the way from Badger to Glacier Point. We were the only people at Glacier Point that day. Awesome views and so different than being there in summer with the crowds. It's the end of March already, so call first to see if it's still feasible. This trip is along glacier point road by the way.
balzaccom
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by balzaccom »

The bridge at Pate Valley is currently out--and no word on when it will be replaced. Doing that trail from White Wolf is a no go. And with the high water, it will be even more dangerous. I would write off the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne until they fix that bridge...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

From my experience May is best time for backcountry skiing, though in bigger snow years than this I have been able to ski until late June. The later in the year you get the more likely you have to deal with sun cups of massive proportions. The classic waterfall enhanced by high water is waterwheel falls. A seldom visited falls is huge cascade on the upper Merced at the confluence of the Merced peak fork. If the snow is firm (which means travel early in the day) travel over talus fields can be much easier than tedious rock hopping. But if the snow is rotten, snow over talus can be dangerous. Regardless of terrain snow travel in late spring and summer works best early in the day but after any crust has softened but before it is so soft that you have to posthole.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

balzaccom wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:25 am I would write off the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne until they fix that bridge...
Obviously as an out & back it's fine though... or loop around on the PCT mebbe & make it a really long trip.
oldranger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:07 am A seldom visited falls is huge cascade on the upper Merced at the confluence of the Merced peak fork.
Roughly 37.6891, -119.3511?

On the FS map, the falls is on the Triple Peak Fork.
Falls.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Harlen »

C9... wrote:
What's the most newbie friendly way to get into skiing this spring?
We think Turbohike's suggestions are great. We've skied into the Tablelands with young kids and we all had a blast, and it felt safe. The other trip he mentioned- the one out Badger Pass is where we started off. The long trip out to Glacier Point is nice, but we like the view from Sentinel Dome, and it's a bit easier to reach. Easier still, skiing off Badger Ridge, is the trip out to Dewey Point- I think its about 3-4 miles each way. Brilliant view of El Capitan at sunset, so it's nice to camp out there.

You might like the ski up from North Lake to Piute Pass- it's one of the very shortest routes to the main divide, and Humphreys Basin on the far side is a touring paradise.

DSCN0567.JPG
Here's Lizzie navigating those suncups Mike mentioned. (BTW, this was the middle of June 2017)

DSCN0536.JPG
There are miles of safe touring in H. Basin.

Consider putting together a "pulk" to ease your load. They serve best on the more levelish trails- less well up super steep stuff. (If you're interested, I'd be happy to share our simple pulk design- shoot us a PM) Welcome to the wintery Sierra!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

In big snow years, the late season is much greener and flowers linger. In some cases, walking on top of snow (or snowshoes) is easier than bashing through thick brush.

I did the in-and-out of the GCT last year and all the good scenery is between Tioga Pass and the Pate Valley bridge. It is only one extra day. The issue is not the Pate Valley bridge. It however would be a big issue if the other bridges along the trail washed out. Also Tioga Pass will open later.

Kennedy Lake from Kennedy Meadows is a good early season trip with big solid bridges to cross high water. I have never tried to ski it but have gone in early. Later in the season they graze cattle; when snow covered you do not have to deal with cow poop.

Any place there are bare rock slabs with plenty of sunshine on them, allow camping on these rocks so you do not have to camp on snow. For example, you could camp on the top of North Dome even if you had to snow-shoe to get there. I did the North Rim Traverse with snowshoes (3 days) in April years ago, and there were plenty of dry spots to camp.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic

Post by c9h13no3 »

Harlen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:38 pm Easier still, skiing off Badger Ridge, is the trip out to Dewey Point
Yeah, this is the one I've been targeting for a day trip. But I can't get free from work in April, and I'm afraid it won't be in good condition in May. I'm sure Humphrey's Basin is the bomb, but east side trail heads are so much harder when the roads are closed.
Wandering Daisy wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:15 am Kennedy Lake from Kennedy Meadows is a good early season trip with big solid bridges to cross high water. I have never tried to ski it but have gone in early. Later in the season they graze cattle; when snow covered you do not have to deal with cow poop.
This is exactly true. If you get in early, there's no mosquitoes or cows. And year old cow poop isn't so bad. I went last year in May, and could've gone in weeks earlier.

I can't think of any bushwhacks that would be better in a big snow year, but that might just be because my wife threatens to divorce me if I take her bushwhacking. Maybe the trip up to Sphinx lakes?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Cherry Creek below Lord Meadow in peak 2017 June snowmelt:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2017_Trip_C ... 17-12.html

As someone that resort skis all winter, not a fan of tromping about backpacking on painfully bright late season snow fields where suncups and forest areas between trees become unpleasant.
creekfeet
Topix Regular

Post by creekfeet »

The Tablelands really come alive in big snow years. The head waters of the Marble Fork can go completely dry in a drought year, but in high water they are home to some of the finest swimming holes in Sequoia. Ephemeral ponds dot the landscape, and seasonal creeks come cascading down the canyon walls. Patches of mountain pride brighten the scenery. Moose Lake freezes over, giving off a strong Alaska vibe. And while postholing can be an issue, the snow is never terribly burdensome, and in fact makes it easier to trek through certain areas. I did a trip in the Tablelands from Alta Meadow to Big Bird and back via the Marble Fork in mid-July of 2017, and no snow gear was necessary.